Ashton Kutcher

Popchips Ad PULLED

Over Brown-Face

5/3/2012 7:03 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503_ashton_kutcher_raj
Ashton Kutcher's new commercial for Popchips has officially been PULLED amidst allegations of racism ... after the actor donned brownface makeup to play a goofy Bollywood producer.

The ad -- which debuted on the Popchips website -- featured Ashton playing a variety of characters in a spoof "dating" commercial ... including a biker, a hippie, and an Indian guy named Raj.

The ad pissed off a whole bunch of people -- including blogger Anil Dash ... who called the ad, "a hackneyed, unfunny advertisement featuring Kutcher in brownface talking about his romantic options, with the entire punchline being that he's doing it in a fake-Indian outfit and voice."

Dash explained on his blog, "I think the people behind this Popchips ad are not racist. I think they just made a racist ad."

In the wake of the backlash, Popchips took down the ad ... and Popchips CEO Keith Belling issued a statement saying, "We did not intend to offend anyone. I take full responsibility and apologize to anyone we offended."

Boozez

you mean he played a character & got shlt for it?Get a real problem Anil!!

unbelievable

What a joke.

cjl

get off the high horse and quit protesting every itty bitty little thing as racism. i'm sick of these people coming into our country, which is a free country with free speech in case they don't know it, telling us how and when and where and what to do when we have issues like this. it's meant to be funny, roll with it and get over yourself and quit accusing us americans of running ads that are constantly being scrutinized by foreigners!

Bird

How come it's OK for every race under the sun to make fun of white people, but when it's the other way around, it's racist? Non-white comedians make fun of white people all the time. We're often portrayed as being either corny nerds who can't dance, or racist hillbilly rednecks who live in a trailer and f_ck our own family members. That's all OK, and we're not allowed to get offended by that, but if we so much as have a black woman in a chicken commercial we're forced to apologize for being "racist". Aren't double standards a bitch?

Betty

Give me a break! Have we become such a humorless society that EVERY single time someone makes a joke regarding any type of ethnicity, that particular group is "outraged"???? Get a sense of humor already! It's getting ridiculously politically correct in this country. What happened to freedom of speech?

Mazor

It's only offensive because Kutcher is a huge douche.

Snowdude

Assin ****cher, the perfect guy for Kim Kardashian because he could change color according to daily liking; black, brown or shades in between.

Pimpcessa

They made a movie years ago called "White men can't jump". We all went and laughed, BECAUSE IT WAS FUNNY! And that is a stereotype to this day, check the NBA players list to confirm the amount of black versus white players - maybe we need some affirmative action there (??)

But my real point there is, I guess, the question of what if a movie was made with the title "Black men can't......"??? The whites have been taking it on the chin and laughing along, when it's funny, so I don't understand the difference with the other races/ethnicities/religions etc....

Hamptonsdude

Asston Kutcher is a moron. Having said that, the ad campaign was brilliant. Now everyone has heard of Popvhips.

BB not bb

What in the world are popchips anyway? Are they like pringles? Are they what the dog was licking before the German guy ate one? That was just disgusting. What does that have to do with an ad for a dating site either? I think the producer of this commerical is just confused all around.

BB not bb

Anil is offended. He has a right to be. He can be whatever he feels like. He didn't demand that the ad be taken down. I blame the CEO for reacting to one guy's opinion like it is a big deal.

What in the world is a Popchip?

Ih8Taxes

Good Lord, does everything offend non-whites? How about when Dave Chapell plays a white guy? I think it's hilarious! "You people" need to get over it.

Vernon P. Alarcon

STUPID & not very funny like most of what @ssclown does

Maryann

Ok, this is the most stupid 'racist' complaint I've come across. Since when is ACTING and PLAYING A PART and BECOMING A CHARACTER such an issue with people. Because he wore 'brownface' makeup? Holy ****! I know white people that are darker than that near the end of summer and it comes natural. Should we start taking offense to those who are producing melanin as well? Good grief! Even when playing Raj, Ashton didn't make any stereotypical statements so how is it coming off racist? I guess it's a good thing they didn't have Ashton play a black man. Boy that would have been the end of that company. It's funny and ok to joke about everyone but you, right? Get over yourself! I'm almost certain had this been a black man or a hispanic man painted to that same shade no issue would have come up. And I am more than certain that white people wouldn't be crying racism at the mock white man either. Lame!

Arla

I LOVE POPCHIPS!!! They are delicious! They are the innocent victims here. I hope nobody boycotts Popchips over this. They are soooo good! Anyhoo.....
I think everyone should know by now that if you are planning on painting a white person's skin darker to portray a different race, people are going to get mad.
Whether it's right or wrong, if somebody feels that the message is racist, then it is racist. I'm sure they didn't mean to offend anybody and I'm glad they removed the ad immediately and apologized.
I personally don't find it offensive, but if anybody did then it should be removed.