« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Junior Seau

Death Ruled Suicide

5/3/2012 4:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0503-jenior-seau-getty-3
Junior Seau
's death has been ruled a suicide -- this according to the San Diego County medical examiner's office.

According to the medical examiner, Seau -- who was found unconscious at his Oceanside, CA home yesterday -- died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.

The medical examiner's office says Seau's family has yet to decide whether to turn the NFL legend's brain over to outside researchers for study.

There are reports a Boston University research center has already requested to examine Junior's brain -- to see if there's a link between his suicide and concussion-related injuries he sustained during his NFL career.

As we reported, former NFL player Dave Duerson shot himself in the chest last year, requesting his brain be donated to research. Months after Duerson's death, researchers at BU confirmed he suffered from a neurodegenerative disease linked to concussions.

But as we first reported, Seau's family doesn't believe he shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain -- because he never complained about concussion-related medical problems and didn't appear to be suffering from depression.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

the truth

Prayers go out to the Seau family. May you find peace during this difficult time.

kt

NO sympathy for anyone who commits suicide! I feel for his family only...

ernest

a very sad ending

Kabala

OT- You freshened your website, Harvey - the comments pages are cleaner, the masthead is different but I still can't rate comments on page 1 of a comments section unless I go to another page and return to it. Please fix it!

PokerStar

RIP Junior, so sad for his kids . . . .

Michael

I saw Jr. a few weeks ago while driving the strand in Oceanside. I was in my convertible and he was on his 2nd floor balcony playing the ukulele. As I slowly drove by, we caught eyes...and I waved and said hello and he said hi also....he was out there often and who knows why he did what he did. This guy was a CLASS ACT and condolences to his many friends, family and friends and may he RIP.

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

The way the media's linked this to the head injury situation is shameless. They don't have any idea what was going through this guy's head. He drove his own car off a cliff, he may have just been a real nice and jolly mental case. Sorry, but no sane person commits suicide without a note and a fatal reason for doing it, like saving oneself from cancer suffering or what not...and men like him don't go seek help for depression which frankly I think is BS anyhow. I think that the default mood for a human is not 'Mr happy go lucky look at me all day and night' and these people seem to not be able to handle normal life once they've crossed over to the weirdness and sickness of celebrity worship that's bringing this nation's youth and adults alike to their freaking knees for some sick reason. Must be what they lack at home.

GG1000

What in the world do they mean he didn't appear to be suffering from depression? Everyone knows he tried to kill himself driving off that cliff a couple of years ago no matter what he said. What more do you need to show you someone's depressed than a suicide attempt? !

LindaJay

R.I.P.

Babydoll0630

And nobody saw this coming when he drove his Escalade off a cliff almost two years ago? Then claimed he wasn't suicidal?

ada

what ever the reason was for him to end his life must of been so strong that he say no wrong in his chioce

FBI

this is a trace, don't move.

Deborah

Well no **** Sherlock!

Leanne McClain

ear Mother Seau -- I believe that accidents happen. I see it all the time. We can trip while we walk, we bump into a desk or table, we drop a cup of coffee and we can over throw first base. If there are no letters of regret, if his life was a success and he touched so many lives, WHY CAN'T THIS SIMPLY BE AN ACCIDENT!? Well -- In my world, accidents happen. We all live with purpose. Junior Seau -- I will move on not being influenced by the mortician who ruled this intentional, but by the fact that this was an accident. Junior Seau could have been simply cleaning his gun. THE NEXT TIME YOU DROP A CUP OF COFFEE OR SIMPLY HAVE AN ACCIDENT, PLEASE GIVE A MOMENT OF THOUGHT OF OUR FOOTBALL ANGEL. RIP SEAU -- God bless you family. Be at peace.

Mighty Mike

With all the success he has had, with family and friends, nice house, businesses and charities. To do this, tells a sad, scary story. Nobody is immune. His friends can't believe he didn't reach out to them, and he obviously felt he had no choices.

RIP Junior. You will be missed by all. - Raider fan