'Beastie Boys' MCA

Dead at 47

5/4/2012 1:00 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/4/2012 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0504-adam-yauch-getty-new
update_bar
11:30 AM PT -- MCA's publicist just released a statement, writing, "It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam 'MCA' Yauch ... passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old."

1:00 PM PT -- A rep for the Dalai Lama -- of whom MCA was a huge supporter -- tells TMZ, "Adam had helped us raise awareness on the plight of the Tibetan people by organizing various freedom Tibet concerts and he will be remembered by his holiness and the Tibetan people."

Adam met several times with the Dalai Lama while he was sick -- most recently last July, when the Dalai Lama blessed him.

0314_divider_graphic
"Beastie Boys" rapper MCA -- real name Adam Yauch -- has died.

In 2009, MCA announced he was being treated for a cancerous parotid gland and a lymph node (below). He has since undergone surgery and radiation therapy.

050412_yauch_v2_launch
Russell Simmons' website GlobalGrind.com first reported the death. We have spoken to people independently connected to the rapper who also say he is dead.

MCA co-founded Beastie Boys in 1979 with Mike D, and Ad Rock ... and went on to churn out some of the most iconic albums in hip-hop ... including License to Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication.

The group has won multiple Grammys and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year.

The Beastie Boys haven't performed live since summer 2009 -- and during one of their last ever performances at Bonnaroo that June, MCA appeared noticeably less energetic than his group mates.

0_xqk0c2uq_0_xrthorpu
MCA recently became a vegan at the recommendation of his Tibetan doctors.

The Beastie Boys' most recent music video was released last year for the song "Make Some Noise" -- and it stars a laundry list of A-listers, including Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Rainn Wilson, Amy Poehler, Steve Buscemi, Kirsten Dunst, Zach Galifianakis, Orlando Bloom, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Jack Black.

Yauch is survived by his wife and daughter. He was 47.

0504_mca_remembering_footer

waco76

R.I.P. MCA.....

Tesla_Consulting

Rest in Noise.

twumblrggl

rip

cool disco dan

mca,love ya dawg r.i.p.

BenFromIceland

Rest in peace MCA - A true inspiration

JNG123

Times are changing. Now I know what my parents felt like seeing so many of their icons pass. Definitely feeling older. Feels like only yesterday I was a kid listening to Fight For Your Right. Reminds you we're all one day closer to facing our mortality. RIP

Nathan

so sad went to the concert in Berkley,CA and it was great but to have a fallen MCA really sucks hope the band keeps doin'

leah

heartbroken .. you will be missed R.I. P MCA ...

flavio

R.I.P MCA, foi uma grande perca para o HIPHOP mundial.

kurakulla

Dearest Adam,

I knew you were a Dharma brother when you joined me in flying a kite in 1986 while on tour. May you be see the face of the beautiful Dakini and visit the Pure Lands until you have a favorable re-birth, helping us as you have, here on Earth.

kurakulla

Dear Adam,
I knew you were a Dharma brother when we flew that kite on your 1986 tour. May you see the blissful face of Dakinis in the Pure Lands, and have a favorable human rebirth to grace us with your compassion and wisdom.

gibby

very very sad!!

Goldie

RIP MCA: "Looking at My Gucci It's About that Time" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joanna-popper/rip-mca_b_1500110.html

Goldie

Margaret

The Beasties were my first concert in August of '87 at Pine Knob in Clarkston, MI. They were with RUN DMC on the Together Forever Tour....MCA came riding out on a tricycle; that was the beginning of the show. I will never ever forget it...SO much fun and AMAZZZING for me to be able to see one of my all time have bands as my first concert. RIP Adam.