'Beastie Boys' MCA

Dead at 47

5/4/2012 1:00 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/4/2012 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0504-adam-yauch-getty-new
update_bar
11:30 AM PT -- MCA's publicist just released a statement, writing, "It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam 'MCA' Yauch ... passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old."

1:00 PM PT -- A rep for the Dalai Lama -- of whom MCA was a huge supporter -- tells TMZ, "Adam had helped us raise awareness on the plight of the Tibetan people by organizing various freedom Tibet concerts and he will be remembered by his holiness and the Tibetan people."

Adam met several times with the Dalai Lama while he was sick -- most recently last July, when the Dalai Lama blessed him.

0314_divider_graphic
"Beastie Boys" rapper MCA -- real name Adam Yauch -- has died.

In 2009, MCA announced he was being treated for a cancerous parotid gland and a lymph node (below). He has since undergone surgery and radiation therapy.

050412_yauch_v2_launch
Russell Simmons' website GlobalGrind.com first reported the death. We have spoken to people independently connected to the rapper who also say he is dead.

MCA co-founded Beastie Boys in 1979 with Mike D, and Ad Rock ... and went on to churn out some of the most iconic albums in hip-hop ... including License to Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head and Ill Communication.

The group has won multiple Grammys and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year.

The Beastie Boys haven't performed live since summer 2009 -- and during one of their last ever performances at Bonnaroo that June, MCA appeared noticeably less energetic than his group mates.

0_xqk0c2uq_0_xrthorpu
MCA recently became a vegan at the recommendation of his Tibetan doctors.

The Beastie Boys' most recent music video was released last year for the song "Make Some Noise" -- and it stars a laundry list of A-listers, including Rashida Jones, Will Arnett, Rainn Wilson, Amy Poehler, Steve Buscemi, Kirsten Dunst, Zach Galifianakis, Orlando Bloom, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Jack Black.

Yauch is survived by his wife and daughter. He was 47.

0504_mca_remembering_footer

John

Hip Hop lost a true Pioneer! man this sucks..

Matty V

not to nitpick the article, because it's not nearly as important, but Mix Master Mike isn't the original Beastie's DJ. RIP Adam.

mark

that is a damn tragedy. one of the greatest talents in modern music. he'll be missed tremendously...horrible, horrible news. very sad. RIP MCA

Pedey

This one hits me harder than Whitney Houston or Michael Jackson. He was such a big part of my youth - from elementary school, through high school & beyond. You were a master of your craft. Sleep peacefully, MCA.

Mat Weller

This is why I Relay. http://tinyurl.com/matweller2012

Woot

Sad, sad, sad. Rest in peace, you gifted man.

John

Vert2boston

This is the worst news I have heard in a long time,MCA was my favorite mc out of the trio and the beasties have been a huge influence in my life,my favorite group,favorite album,favorite everything,truly a sad sad day..EverONe better be blasting the boys today,make sure your neighbors hear it real loud. RIP MCA

MaryContrary

OMG I'm so bummed. Had no idea how sick he was. I don't think most people realized he was either. The Beastie Boys were my first and best concert I've ever been to, back when I was in high school in 96' I believe. Their vibe and originality can never be topped. MCA was an extremely talented contributor to their sound. This is truly a sad day in the music world. RIP Adam Y-- MCA

Rude Boy

I saw these guys in '86 right before "Licensced to Ill" was released during Run-DMC's Raising Hell tour when white rappers were unheard of. But by the time they left the stage, thee was nothing but respect for them. RIP, brother.

aquanet

REALLY TMZ?! You post a video of him talk ing about his cancer and then a joke music video. Why dont you post a music video where HE is actually in it doing the singing Try Sabatage or What Cha Want.

R.G.

RIP Adam "MCA" you will be missed :((((

vinyl

This is so sad.

TMZ - how do I "like" a post? have tried to click on the "like" icon many times, but no go?

Jennifer

Between this AND the story of HUGH LAURIE FALLING TO HIS DEATH in New Zealand, this has been a freaky day, though I hope the hugh laurie story i s wrong.

the Blinding