George 'Goober' Lindsey

'Andy Griffith Show' Star

Dead at 83

5/6/2012 9:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

George Lindsey has died
George Lindsey -- who appeared on such classic TV shows as "The Andy Griffith Show," "Gunsmoke" and "Hee Haw" -- died Sunday morning after an extended illness. He was 83.

Lindsey -- who grew up in Jasper, Alabama -- will be buried there, reports WSFA in Tennessee ... but no plans have been made yet.

Lindsey was probably best known for playing Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show." He got the part after originally auditioning for the role of Gomer Pyle, but lost out to Jim Nabors.

fran

Hey Goob ,,rest in peace .

Sephiroth

RIP George...

Butterfly

THIS IS SO SAD. I agree with all the beautiful comments about "Goober." I believe he was kind and gentle in real life as in the Andy show. How could we help but love him. Sleep well, "Goober." You were one of the best and will continue to be for many many years to come.

What's Reality

R.I.P. Mr. Lindsey

..……•:::::•..
,.•´¨`•.( -.- ).•´¨`•.,¸
¨`•–•-¨( “)(“ )¨-•–•´¨

Vivek

Ron Howards message to George Lindsay http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3375616 shares his experience with George, R.I.P George Lindsay thanks for the smile that you brought on our faces, you will always be remembered.

kmandew

my childhood memories are dying all around me lately.

I still love to watch Goober in re-runs. A Classic comedian and a class act.

ragu4u

Those WERE the days. A perfect example of how far we have fallen to get a laugh.

edswoggle

RIP Goober.

Seau, MCA, and Goober...what an odd grouping of 3's....anywho, Godspeed to them all.

Blue

My dad always said, you know you are getting old when your childhood hero's start passing on. RIP in peace Mr. Lindsay, I loved AMB, great show.

cari

I almost thought it Craig Ferguson in that photo.

Butterfly

George Lindsey played "Goober." Jim Nabors played "Gomer." Both contributed greatly to the on-going success of "The Andy Griffith Show." Is it any wonder so many of the "old" shows are back on TV? Many of today's actors, writers, producers, sponsors, do not have enough true talent to put in a thimble. We are the dummies who support their so-called,"talent." SHAME on US!!!

dave

who is jeremy renner... dont even try to compare him to george lindsey...my grandmother was his tailer when he was on heehaw and he was the funniest nicest and most humble person on earth.he really appreciatedl his fans and never missed the opportunity

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4