'The Avengers'

Shawarma Sales

SKYROCKET in L.A.

5/8/2012 12:40 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/7/2012 4:44 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0507_avengers_tmzcomposite_wb
You may not have realized it when you were in the theaters this weekend, but "The Avengers" is not a movie ... it's a guerrilla marketing campaign for the shawarma industry!!! We'll explain ...

At the end of the "film," a scene within the credits shows the movie's stars eating lunch at an undisclosed location (not a secret lair or anything, they just didn't say). The meal of choice was shawarma ... a callback to something Robert Downey Jr.'s character had said earlier in the movie.

0507_avengers_still_2
TMZ spoke with several different fine eating establishments all across Los Angeles ... and they all say sales of shawarma went through the roof this weekend.

At Ro Ro's Chicken -- a famed Lebanese joint in Hollywood -- the manager says shawarma sales jumped 80% in the days after the movie opened. We're told the same thing happened a few years back when a baba ghanouj joke was featured in "You Don't Mess with the Zohan."

And that's the last time we'll mention "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" ever again.

Philly

You are saying people respond to advertisement? Go on

Cognizant _illiberal

shawarma is so good especially beef/lamb gyros if the place is good

My Big Salami

My wife has been serving me "Shawrama" for years but we just call it Hamburger Helper.....

VictorD

Losing all hope in humanity.

Keyser Söze

TMZ: spoiling movie endings pretty much ever since the site opened.

Talking about the scene, barely OK... but actually showing it? Not cool at all for the poor bastards that haven't seen it yet, Levin.

UVa_McIntire_Student

You guys should take the same stance on the Kardashians as you do for the Zohan.

Giacomo

You don't think Mr. Downey has started a shawarma franchise and is about to cash in, do you?

brad

This is what WRITING A GOOD SCRIPT to go along with the action in an action movie like this will get you ... record breaking movie ticket sales! Bravo to the script writers and the director of this movie.

All the actors did a great job too. I've been a big Robert Downey fan for a long time and he did another great job acting like he usually does. Robert Downey is one helluva "comeback story" after all of his drug problems about 10 years ago. He's at the very top of the "A list" now.

When a classic superhero action movie targeted to teenagers and young adults is getting "A+" ratings from professional movie critics you know your movie is going to be a box office smash hit. This is a summer movie that is well worth the price of the ticket. Go see it this weekend if you haven't already. Heck, go watch several times. I hear you can watch it at IMAX huge screen theaters too.

Steven

I think you meant to say Baba Ganoush, not Baba Ghanouj :-)

Mark

Someone will be in trouble for posting a still picture from the bootleg dvd copy of the avengers. I just hope you don't care when someone uses your copywrited material to make money.

hotbitch

I had the best shawarma ever in LIFE while in Amman, Jordan. If you ever get the chance to visit you must go to Reem shawarma shop. It's a complete hole in the wall serving some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere.

drdre

they were talking about eating shawarmas in NYC....you'd think they're sky rocket in ny

lalaland

I became addicted to shawarmas when I lived in Amsterdam. I've never not been disappointed when I've ordered one here in the states so I stopped trying. If someone can tell me where I can find one like the ones in Amsterdam with all those yummy sauces, I'll be there!

pia

Shawarma is so good but my favorite Lebanese Grill serves it with lots of grilled vegetables.

Danni b

In the UK we call this a Donner Kebab. Famous for helping the drunks soak up the alchohol before going home after a good night put. Delicious

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments