Breastfeeding Org.

We LOVE Time Mag Cover,

Except ...

5/10/2012 3:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Time magazine cover with breastfeeding
The 3-year-old kid suckling from his mother's teet on the cover of Time Magazine is NOT too old to breastfeed ... so says a powerful breastfeeding organization -- but they do have one gripe.

TMZ spoke with Bettina Forbes -- co-founder of Best for Babes -- an advocacy group dedicated to educating moms about breastfeeding.

Forbes tells us, "We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable."

She adds, "Think of it this way -- some cultures have been drinking green tea for millennia, only recently has it become popular in the United States once the health benefits were understood and it was popularized by marketing ... breastfeeding is the same, it is accepted and valued in many cultures, but not yet fully in the U.S."

As for the gripe -- Forbes says her first choice would have been Jennifer Garner in the role of breastfeeder ... but "we're happy with anything that is an appealing image, provokes conversation, and ultimately desensitizes people to breastfeeding."

Lola

I was attending my friend's baby shower and another new mom was breastfeeding her baby. When the baby finished I was shocked to see a 6 year sold boy lay down and start nursing. I tried not to stare, but everyone seemed caught off guard with i

kim

La Leche League is a freaking cult. I didn't read the article, don't care to. But I know who they are and they are insane. The lactation consultants at the hospitals are the scariest women alive. And this photo of this toddler suckling a strange woman's breast is disturbing. Shame on you Time.

jim bob

Child molestation

gapchick101

Her boobs dont look like the would hold one ounce of milk, this looks so not real anyway :(

OutGettingRibs

In societies where children are allowed to nurse "as long as they want" they usually wean themselves, with no arguments or emotional trauma, between 3 and 4 years of age.

ExtraKetchup

I make no apologies when I say that the magazine cover is vulgar and only intended to stir unneeded controversy to drum up some buzz for stupid Time. I see their plan worked. Meh. Regarding the topic at hand, in my completely unqualified opinion, breastfeeding shouldn't need to go past age two at the latest. When they are infants, of course. But at the point in which their teeth come in and they are able to start consuming solids, what's the point? It seems like it becomes more of a 'closeness' thing for the mother and completely unnecessary for the kid.

Deelight

UHHH ok, I Bf for 6 weeks and had teets to my knees. If I Bf for 4 years I could of been MRS Mother (America) and could of saved the world.

nteplitz

The Time magazine breastfeeding cover is much more tame than the cover they didn't use: http://www.omdoubleg.com/entertainment/j-lo-and-casper-smarts-time-magazine-cover-deemed-too-controversial/

Deelight

Thinking time has used all of it's time...Times up!! Or in this case down.

lia...

Breastfeeding is a stigma a taboo to people in america. The picture show something that to many is bizarre, but if you think about it, then the cover of time magazine should be a man, a women and a kid attached to a cow breast. We feed from anther animal milk instead of our own specie milk. Im a just analyzing things the natural way. If they put the cow with the people drinking milk as a cover is also bizarre. We are use to see things in appearance, in a card board, with make up, well dress... always hiding we is truly going on and the true is that we should not be drinking milk from another specie. I am not saying that is right or wrong, but think about it...

nothng2lose

Kid way to old to be on a "teet" yes some places they do it to that age Bc food is low this is America no grown kid should be pulling breast out to eat u can do that u can hold a fork / spoon tired of seeing kids do this hence kids not babies

jeff

I'll drink to that! This kids getting more action than I am.

beth

I breastfed my four children until they were about one years of age. It was not meeting their nutritional needs anymore and I didn't feel it was a useful to their development to be used as a pacifier/dummy. I tried to give them the best start and was lucky I could. Its not always practical or possible to breast feed. I find its the parents, not the children, that want it to continue longer. It doesn't build on the child's self esteem when you are hampering their independence.

boricua4669

All you americans are so way over prude !! That kid soon is gonna start eating solid food only and all of you are complaining for that ? Get over yourself !

insecurious

like bullying isnt bad enough, wait til he starts school soon.....thanks mom!