Breastfeeding Org.

We LOVE Time Mag Cover,

Except ...

5/10/2012 3:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Time magazine cover with breastfeeding
The 3-year-old kid suckling from his mother's teet on the cover of Time Magazine is NOT too old to breastfeed ... so says a powerful breastfeeding organization -- but they do have one gripe.

TMZ spoke with Bettina Forbes -- co-founder of Best for Babes -- an advocacy group dedicated to educating moms about breastfeeding.

Forbes tells us, "We understand that Americans are uncomfortable with [the Time cover], but in cultures where babies wean themselves normally, usually somewhere around age 3 or 4, it is perfectly acceptable."

She adds, "Think of it this way -- some cultures have been drinking green tea for millennia, only recently has it become popular in the United States once the health benefits were understood and it was popularized by marketing ... breastfeeding is the same, it is accepted and valued in many cultures, but not yet fully in the U.S."

As for the gripe -- Forbes says her first choice would have been Jennifer Garner in the role of breastfeeder ... but "we're happy with anything that is an appealing image, provokes conversation, and ultimately desensitizes people to breastfeeding."

Previous 15 Comments | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22

iberealcool

The headline shouldn't be "are you woman enough?" It should be "are you wierd enough."

Chrissy200999

I am not against breastfeeding at all. It is a personal choice. However, I think there should be an age limit. I would never let my kid go past the age of 1 and a half. I think a child needs to start being weened at a year old. This child is way too old to be breastfed. I think that is disgusting. Now listen to me. I don't think breastfeeding is disgusting but I think breastfeeding a child older than 2 years old is. However it is a personal choice but I would not be surprised if that woman is visited by cps within the next few weeks

Carla Stern

As long as the child is interested, 3 is not too old!!! I breastfed all three of my kids until they were 2 1/2 and they are fit, smart, happy and SUPER-healthy - NEVER had ear infections or many colds or other infections. America, get over it!!

chuck

WISH IT WAS ME SHE IS HOT. YUM YUM

monique

what am I supposed to tell my son when he sees this!! I don't want him coming anywhere near my brreasts when he is hungry!!! yuck!!!

Deb

Yes, I AM mom enough. My 8 year old daughter just got into the intellectually gifted program at her school, with a tested I.Q. of 136, and she was fed nothing but infant formula for one year. Don't ever try to make us feel inferior.

ecolovingchickadee

I am saddened by the amount of people here that see extended breastfeeding as "wrong", "disgusting" or "sexual". This is sad state of our society indeed.

I don't love this cover for the text, and the photo is iffy. It's not an accurate depiction of breastfeeding a 3 year old - no one nurses that way - but the fact that she is nursing a 3 year old is the least of the issues here.

Beverly Doehrman

Your latest issue of a breastfeeding mom was inappropriate for Time Magazine and disgusting. That is personal and should not be on the cover of Time Magazine - what were you thinking??? That is so personal and you made it so public by putting it on your cover. I think it was not a very good choice for Time and hopefully people will think twice about your magazine - I know we will -----very poor choice - is your Magazine hurting that much that you have to reach for that type of attention to get subscribers!!! Time can do better and should apologize to subscribers!!!!

Beverly Doehrman

patches

This Poor child Is not only Going to Get Teased Relentlessly For this But he's Now going to Have this Stigma For the Rest of his Life Being Known as the Boy on the cover of Time Magazine, WOW what a Wonderful Loving mother Yep you've Officially Ruined your Child's Life Forever....

Firefly

What's nasty is the way they presented something as wholesome as breastfeeding. The look on the mothers face is what gets me, it's so smug and the child looks like he was told to just stand there and plop that sucker in his mouth for the camera. It's also eery to see the child looking at the camera while doing this. It was not done lovingly like a mom breastfeeding in privacy, but a in your face, look at me situation. If people get a sick feeling it's because TIME tried to sexualize something so natural and pure with that picture. Also when a child has all it's teeth it's time for solids, for the breast has then become a form of pacifier. One that can't be taken to pre-k.

jerjer

I personally enjoyed the other time magazine cover. Lol. http://hollywoodleek.com/2012/05/time-cover-jennifer-aniston-breast-feeds-the-world/

Previous 15 Comments | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22