Mitchell Guist

Dies in Louisiana [Update]

5/14/2012 9:58 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/14/2012 4:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0514_swamp_people_mitchell_guist

update_bar
10:19 AM PDT --
Law enforcement sources tell us ... Mitchell was out in his boat along the Belle River ... when he "fell." Witnesses say he appeared to have been suffering from a seizure.

We're told another person on the boat returned the vessel to the dock and called 911. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and transported Mitchell to a nearby hospital ... but it was too late.

12:15 PM PDT -- A rep for the History Channel tells us, "We are extremely saddened to report that our friend and beloved member of the Swamp People family, Mitchell Guist, has passed away earlier today. Mitchell passed on the swamp, doing what he love."

4:11 PM PDT -- The 911 call, placed moments after Mitchell Guist fell, was just released to a local news station. According to the caller, Mitchell had a seizure then went into cardiac arrest.

051412_swamp_people_911_launch
0314_divider_graphic
Mitchell Guist
-- one of the bearded alligator-hunting brothers featured on the reality show "Swamp People" -- has died.

According to WBRZ.com, Mitchell was discovered at 9 AM in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... someone tried to perform CPR on Guist ... but attempts to resuscitate the reality star were unsuccessful.

051412_guist_swamp_people_launch
Sources close to Mitchell tell us ... Guist had recently fallen ill ... but the nature of his illness is still unclear.

Story developing ...

0514_mitchell_guist_footer

Reita

The family is in my prayers God bless

Chot

They aren't Gator hunters..Brothers Glenn and Mitchell Guist were born, raised, and still live in the same house their grandparents once occupied on Conway Bayou. The Guist brothers march to their own drummer. They are a backwoods duo who hunt, trap and fish to eat. If the fish in Conway Bayou aren’t biting, then “squirrel and dumplings” might be on the menu. Today, Glenn and Mitchell are a dying breed. They never claimed to be anything but ordinary dudes, that put their pants on one leg at a time. Some people commenting on here need to be more respectful. As far as the CPR comments. One of these days someone might decide "Not" to on you...RIP Mitchell ..Mo chagren Glen and family

Lizzi

What a shame. Prayers with his family.

TabbyVeil

This season was my first time watching Swamp People" . They all found a place in my heart very quickly. I will miss him dearly. My prayers to his family and all those who's lives he has touched.

JohnE2

May God have mercy on his soul. I think he has to, this was a man that through his Lifetime brought Joy & Laughter to Millions , just for being Guilty of being a "simple Man" there are those who will jeer , and say rude things about him , because you don't know how to live a simple life! We'll miss ya' Mitchell!!!

JohnE2

I enjoyed the show , of two Brothers bringing Joy & laughter to millions of people , that just don't know a thing about their lifestyles , & how simple they were, but Crazy like a fox! RIP Mitchell , we'll sure miss ya'.

JohnE2

I'll sure miss Mitch and his Brother, while they seemed illiterate by some standards , Just look deep in the mans eyes , There's a world of knowledge in those eyes , and if they could only speak , there's a lot we could learn from ,"A SIMPLE MAN"

ovmoose

i wish i knew half of what this man knew. or seen half of what he seen in his life time. in my eyes he was one of the richest men to walk the earth n are life time. u may ask how i see that. he ate what he wanted when he wanted it without going to a store to get it. his father built the house that him and his brother lived in.intil his passing. to the dumb asses who say the food that he ate killed him then why is it any of us are still alive with all the by products that we eat in are fast food everyday. the food he ate was fresh out the swamp. hell i would give my left nut to be able to live that life style and to know all that he knew about lving off the land. R.I.P. sir you were a king of the swamp

carolina cop

Mitch we love you. You gave us laughter in a otherwise dysfunctional world. May you rest in peace.

NONNIE

I HATE SO BAD TO HEAR THIS! I ENJOY EVERYONE ON THE SHOW AND I DON'T MISS A SHOW! WE LIVED IN PLAQUMINES FOR 10 YEARS AND ONCE YOU HAVE MADE A CAJUN FRIEND IT'S FOR LIFE! MY HEART GOES OUT TO GLENN AND THE REST OF THE FAMILY! I KNOW IT WOULD BE SO HARD FOR GLENN BUT I HOPE HE CONSIDERS STAYING ON THE SHOW. TO SOME OF THESE YOUNG PEOPLE WHOSE COMMENTS I'VE READ IT'S REALLY ASHAME YOU COULDN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO THESE TWO ON YOUR BEST DAY!! IF YOU WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THE SHOW YOU WOULD LEARN A WHOLE LOT! YOU JUST MAY NEED FOOD ONE DAY AND THEY ARE JUST THE ONES TO TEACH YOU HOW TO GET IT AND THEIR KIDS ON THE SWAMMP CARRY ON A PROUD TRADITION! THANK YOU MITCELLE AND GLENN FOR TEACHING US ABOUT YOUR PROUD HERITAGE!

amanda shahan

I think its rude how people talk smack about oh i can't believe anyone would give him cpr and i dont know how anyone could with his ugly mug. Listen up idiots he was awesome and anyone would try to save his life, He was a awesome person unlike you idiots that would let someone die because of the way someone looks. Get over it and look in the mirror!!!!!

Shannon

So sad! RIP I have caught this show and seen him a few times on TV. He seemed to forget that he was on the tv show at times and just seem to enjoy what he was doing out on the boats.

Nishima

Mitchell was out in his boat along the Belle River ... when he "fell." Witnesses say he appeared to have been suffering from a seizure..http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3379820

Marlene Diel

So Sorry to hear about Michell...I just love the show he will be missed...prayers go out to his family!

bigcid

AAWW. I'm so saddened to hear of Mitchells passing. He and his brother Glenn were so fun to watch. Each family on Swamp People bring their own to the show. Brothers Glenn and Mitchel seemed like the best of guys and all our support and prayers go out to all the swampers and Mitchells family. Especially his brother Glenn. The swamp won;t be the same without him. God Bless.