Mitchell Guist

Dies in Louisiana [Update]

5/14/2012 9:58 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/14/2012 4:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0514_swamp_people_mitchell_guist

update_bar
10:19 AM PDT --
Law enforcement sources tell us ... Mitchell was out in his boat along the Belle River ... when he "fell." Witnesses say he appeared to have been suffering from a seizure.

We're told another person on the boat returned the vessel to the dock and called 911. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and transported Mitchell to a nearby hospital ... but it was too late.

12:15 PM PDT -- A rep for the History Channel tells us, "We are extremely saddened to report that our friend and beloved member of the Swamp People family, Mitchell Guist, has passed away earlier today. Mitchell passed on the swamp, doing what he love."

4:11 PM PDT -- The 911 call, placed moments after Mitchell Guist fell, was just released to a local news station. According to the caller, Mitchell had a seizure then went into cardiac arrest.

051412_swamp_people_911_launch
0314_divider_graphic
Mitchell Guist
-- one of the bearded alligator-hunting brothers featured on the reality show "Swamp People" -- has died.

According to WBRZ.com, Mitchell was discovered at 9 AM in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... someone tried to perform CPR on Guist ... but attempts to resuscitate the reality star were unsuccessful.

051412_guist_swamp_people_launch
Sources close to Mitchell tell us ... Guist had recently fallen ill ... but the nature of his illness is still unclear.

Story developing ...

0514_mitchell_guist_footer

bjay

Loved how these old guys lived off the land and truly enjoyed their lives. When they needed something, they made it or hunted for it themselves.... Didn't see any whining or begging for handouts. Like modern day frontiersmen. Deepest Condolences to the family.

Donna

Oh man! How sad! I understand that death is part of life, but Mitchell was much too young!!! My heart goes out to Glenn...Mitchell's other half!!!! May Mitchell rest in peace!

mae

hello

TLM225

For all you LOW LIFE, IDIOTS who have posted these extremely rude & disrespectful comments about Mitchell, I hope each & every one of you ROT IN HELL!! Especially to the A$@HOLE who specifically said "Wow someone actually tried CPR? That's admirable", "Use him as gator bait now"...how heartless can you be to the family as well as disrespectful to Mitchell himself? Whether your animalistic ass chooses to believe it or not, HE IS A PERSON! We are all God's children & I'd Love to know if you would stand by idly & simply watch someone pass away in front of you versus doing CPR because you think you're "too good" to touch someone! Karma is a BITCH! I only wish I'd be so lucky as to see the wrath you get from making such hearless comments about another human life! Especially about such a great man! RIP Mitchell! You are very loved & will be missed by many! I send my condolences for Glenn, Tonya as well as the rest of the family which includes my own brother, sister-in-law, neices & nephew!!!

AJ

To clarify there is an error in this article. He and his brother are not "gator hunters" as described. Their swamp life is more about hunting squirrels, fixing up their home with cypris they find in the swamp and fishing for gar. Not to mention, like the others on this show, how they help their neighbors in times of need. Truly a good soul and he will be missed by those of us who enjoy watching this way of life in the swamp!

Gary Sevison

My prayers are with Glen & the rest of Mitchell"s family.. He will be greatly mised !! RIP Mitch

CBO

ALRIGHT!.........ALLIGATORS CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEEHHH HAAWWW

Nina Griggs

many prayers going to his family! my hearts breaking for his brother Glenn! Sad sad news! RIP Mitchell!

Pat's2cents

Sure will miss Mitchell on the show. My thoughts and prayers to his family and to the Swamp People Family.
RIP Mitchell. Some of the comments are so mean and ugly. Ever heard of karma? Most tvs have an off and on button and you can actually change channels too!

Barbara oshinsky

I am deeply saddened by the death of Michell he and Glen brought much joy to my television viewing. He is already missed.

Pat's2cents

And I wonder if the Kobe (no-means-no) on the first comment page is the same Kobe that was all over the news a while back? If you are - you got no room to talk about a soul! Sweep around your own back door.

diana

I am so sad to hear about MitchelI passing. I love those guys they were a great pair. Wish my brothers got along that good. My thoughs are with his family in their time of need.
RIP Mitchell
Will miss you

babygirlsnonnie

So Sad :-( Thoughts n prayer's to his family.

Charles Sansing

I love this show, the people are REAL. I am going to miss this sweet fellow. He was honest, funny and loved his time with his brother, Glenn. My heart goes out to him and the many friends in the Swamp he loved so much. It is only fitting he passed doing what he always loved. R.I. P. Mitchell.

Sigmar

Few could do as these do living off the land. A breed that helped settle this country. RIP and my condolences Glenn