« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manny Pacquiao

'I'm NOT Against

Gay People'

5/16/2012 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0516_manny_pacquiao_02
Manny Pacquiao says he DOES NOT believe gay people should be put to death ... and blames the media for twisting his words about his stance on gay marriage.

Manny has been under fire ever since the National Conservative Examiner published an interview in which Pacquiao says gay marriage is against the will of God.

The Examiner article includes a reference to Leviticus 20:13 -- which says gays "must be put to death." But now the journalist who conducted the interview is admitting Pacquiao NEVER specifically referenced that bible verse.

Pacquiao has now released a statement saying, "I didn’t say that, that’s a lie ... I didn’t know that quote from Leviticus because I haven’t read the Book of Leviticus yet."

He continues, "I’m not against gay people ... I have a relative who is also gay. We can’t help it if they were born that way."

Still, Manny says he's AGAINST same-sex marriage -- "What I’m critical off [sic] are actions that violate the word of God. I only gave out my opinion that same sex marriage is against the law of God.”

0516_manny_fighting_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Mk

Well we dont live by the law of God, If we did we'd be living in a Taliban state. Gay people pay their taxes, Churches don't. Gay people deserve taxation with representation.

wow

I grew up in a religious country where being gay is illegal and that is still currently acceptable.
My personal belief is they're born that way. Something went wrong beyond their control, not unlike people who're born with an intellectual disability. Perhaps there's such a thing as a gay gene.
I won't discriminate against them because I choose to believe they can't help who they are and I have faced discrimination in my own life.
People should not hide who they are or be rediculed for it. We're all human.

Cooley

Manny can have his opinions if he wants to.

Yes, gay people should be allowed to marry, but let's not pretend the Divine Universe didn't create the phallus to go in the vagina. I'm sure "god" did intend for men to be with women.

People can do whatever they want, but why bash someone for embrace what nature created: heterosexuality.

tahda!

Your view are the summation of your intelligence. Should have avoided non boxing question. One think twice and choose his words carefully specially that he is a politician. Im a filipino and Manny is my national champion but too bad now your just a boxer for me. what a shame

tahda!

fell from the tree, had his tail cut, baptise, and learn how to punch

he will be cannonize by the vatican as the knockout saint

Mary

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs. I don't understand why people get so ****in' mad if your beliefs aren't like theirs. So who cares
if he doesn't believe gay marriage should be legalized? That's his own opinion.

Roberta

If he doesn't have the balls to say it, I will...here's some more bible verses saying Gays are damned:

Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 1 Timothy 1:9-10.

Oh wait, most of them aren't religious anyway, so they're "screwed" either way!

TheMarshmallowMan

I love how peple spew their bull**** about gay marriage ruining morals and states but lets look at the facts shall we

Vermont- Ranked no.1 healthiest state in the nation, 2011
Massachusetts- Ranked no. 1 smartest state in the nation, 2011
New Hampshire- Ranked no. 1 in well being, 2011

red

What an idiot! You can't back peddle your way out of this. When will they learn to STFU?

Narisha

If Gays want to marry then they should make up their own religion not try to change the Bible. It has already been written and does not need rewriting. The Bible speaks out clearly against Gay sex. Why change the Bible when you can write your own religious book and live by it? I am sure that the law will protect this new religion. They can be civil partners but why husband and wife? Men will never be women and women will never be men. Women cannot (to this date) procreate without a MALE sperm and men cannot have children without a FEMALE egg and womb. Next they will sanctify the marriage of a father and daughter or a mother and son or brother and sister or two brothers and two sisters. Where does the line stop?

Gkid

The Gay Community needs to apologize to Manny Pacquiao for misinterpreting the poorly written article by Granville Ampong. Pacquiao NEVER said that Gays should be put to death. The author just inserted the Bible quotes to add dramatic effect to Pacquiao's opposition to gay marriage. Again, Pacquiao never said nor quoted the bible, he NEVER said Gays should be put to death!

Legit

The man has the right to disagree all hie wants. Funny how people that preach tolerance are so intolerable of people who disagree with their lifestyles. You have the right to be gay, I have the right to not support it. End of freaking Story.

roy

Leviticus 20:13 does not say that is you are gay you should be put to death. It states that if a man lies with another man in a womens bed that that is a abomanation. It refers to the fact that women are believed property of a man and it is insult to the man. So it refers to where you are having sex not about homosexual sex. You bible freaks do not even know what the bible states,

parlayer

gays aer ok, i just want to deal with them in the ring!!

Tafe

I've learned in college that a young child identifies with a parent to gain the love of the other - "usually" a girl imitates her mother to gain the love of her father, while a boy imitates her father to gain his mother's love. Sometimes, though, a girl may imitate her father, or a boy may imitate his mother, especially when there is no mother figure or father figure. The point is, maybe people don't choose-choose their sexuality like choosing which restaurant to go to, or which university to go to. And even if a person can choose, doesn't choosing otherwise mean suppressing who they truly are?

Moreover, I don't think one can be "not against gay people," but be "against same sex marriage" - against their rights. It's contradictory. It's illogical. I made that mistake before - thinking that it's okay to be gay but just don't act on it, but having friends who are gay made me see that they just want to love, and be loved. Why should it be exclusive to heterosexuals? Because we're superior? That's pride. Because we're not sinning? That's a delusion. Because the Bible said so? I think each of the Bible's chapters' intended audience is that of the time it was written. A lot of the things in the Bible are not applicable to the present time or symbolism not to be taken literally, although the basic principles remain the same, and one of those "great" ones is to love one another. Love love love.