Donna Summer

Dead at 63

5/17/2012 12:00 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/18/2012 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0517_donna_summer_02
update_bar
8:48 AM 5/18/12 -- Donna's memorial is scheduled for next Wednesday in Nashville.

9:27 AM PST-
TMZ has learned ... Donna died from lung cancer.  Several sources are telling us Donna believed she contracted it by inhaling toxic particles after the 9/11 attack in New York City.

9:35 AM PST-
Donna's family just released a statement, claiming, they "are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy."

0314_divider_graphic
Donna Summer -- the Queen of Disco -- died this morning after a battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Summer was in Florida at the time of her death. She was 63 years old.

Sources close to Summer tell us ... the singer was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps. We spoke to someone who was with Summer a couple of weeks ago ... who says she didn't seem too bad.

In fact, we're told she was focused on trying to finish up an album she had been working on.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits like "Last Dance," "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls."

She continued her dominance in the '80s with "She Works Hard for the Money" and "This Time I Know It's for Real."

Summer and her producer Giorgio Moroder defined the dance music era of the '70s and influenced acts like Duran Duran and David Bowie to enter the genre.

Summer married Brooklyn Dreams singer Bruce Sudano back in 1980. They had two daughters together.

We had the pleasure of shooting Donna back in 2009 on her way out of Mr Chow ... and she couldn't have been nicer -- smiling, waving and signing for fans.

051712_summer_mr_chow_launch_v2

0517_donna_summer_footer

stu

Another queen of music gone in a year!!!
It's ALWAYS in 3's. Put ur bets in....Aretha or Natalie Cole. I have $20 on Nat.

Tim

That's a shame. We all got down to Hot Stuff back in the day.

LRK

lovetohatecelebs

R.I.P

She looks like a prettier/feminine version of Wendy Williams...

Big D

R.I.P. Man she was so hot back in the day, great music talented artist, she will be missed.

smileandshine

She will be missed the Queen of Disco. Rip with the angels! We all will miss you. Thanks for the music for us all to enjoy!

Lionnnnnesssss

RIP Ms Summer!

Pimpcessa

Hell NOOOOO! Not Donna Summer now..... And all of them so young too. RIP Donna, I still have your double collection cd at home. Gonna listen to it tonight... :(

Lionnnnnesssss

We keep losing the good and talented celebrities and keep getting filled with people that contribute nothing!

Celeb Gossip Addict

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear that. I didn't even know she was ill. R.I.P. Donna.

Snooki'sHairBump

Awww that's so sad. I didn't even know she was sick. RIP Donna :-(

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

I swear to the Lord above I was just saying the other day to a buddy who was talking about Whitney Houston and how she was this and that and I said "Oh yea, well Donna Summer was hittin it way before Houston was back in the 70's" and now this. I also then went online to show him some pics of her and we remarked how good she still looked. Too bad, she was a fine singer / musician in her own right

St James III

Wow Washington DC GOGO Legend CHUCK BROWN and DONNA SUMMER gone on the same day. RIP

musa

rip disco queen..
hot stuff is one of my fav songs ever.. she will be remembered

Dale

Sad to hear that, she was the Queen of Disco.
I'm sure Elton John is rehashing one of his old songs at this very moment as a tribute.