Donna Summer

Dead at 63

5/17/2012 12:00 PM PDT UPDATED: 5/18/2012 8:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0517_donna_summer_02
update_bar
8:48 AM 5/18/12 -- Donna's memorial is scheduled for next Wednesday in Nashville.

9:27 AM PST-
TMZ has learned ... Donna died from lung cancer.  Several sources are telling us Donna believed she contracted it by inhaling toxic particles after the 9/11 attack in New York City.

9:35 AM PST-
Donna's family just released a statement, claiming, they "are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy."

0314_divider_graphic
Donna Summer -- the Queen of Disco -- died this morning after a battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Summer was in Florida at the time of her death. She was 63 years old.

Sources close to Summer tell us ... the singer was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps. We spoke to someone who was with Summer a couple of weeks ago ... who says she didn't seem too bad.

In fact, we're told she was focused on trying to finish up an album she had been working on.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits like "Last Dance," "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls."

She continued her dominance in the '80s with "She Works Hard for the Money" and "This Time I Know It's for Real."

Summer and her producer Giorgio Moroder defined the dance music era of the '70s and influenced acts like Duran Duran and David Bowie to enter the genre.

Summer married Brooklyn Dreams singer Bruce Sudano back in 1980. They had two daughters together.

We had the pleasure of shooting Donna back in 2009 on her way out of Mr Chow ... and she couldn't have been nicer -- smiling, waving and signing for fans.

051712_summer_mr_chow_launch_v2

0517_donna_summer_footer

Gaspar

RIP Donna. :( :( :(

Lynda Jones-owings

R.I. P. Donna!!!

pandora

RIP Donna you changed my life

TiltDogg

Only the good die young...

John

One of the most underrated singers ever. That woman could really wail but rarely got full credit for it. The sweetness of Diana's voice combined with Aretha's power, the best of both worlds. Hopefully she'll be more appreciated after death than she was while she lived.

Kali

RIP There are no more like here

Mary McGannon

I'm so sorry to hear of her passing. I loved her and grew up listening and dancing to her music. R.I.P. Donna we will miss you <3

david mitchell

Just said she should make another come back last week in New Orleans. Thought second was not the last. Did not know she was sick?

chucklehead

disco is offically dead! donna i am listening to you right now!

sarita

Too many icon going way too soon. RIP Donna

hotbitch

I just want to point how how nice it is to see that (for once) no one has a bad thing to say. There are usually so many low-lifes trolling this website and it's refreshing to read nothing but positive condolences. Donna Summer obviously touched a lot of our lives in a beautiful way. That's what I love about music; it bridges all barriers. It doesn't matter your race, religion or political stance. Good music is good music.

And thats the truth

Is it me or does 2012 suck?

Pompano Ann

Fall of 79, my friends and I ditched class, we were cruising around listenting to "On the Radio" 8 track, listening to Bad Grils, blasting out of the car, when we realized we were in the middle of a funeral prossesion! RIP Donna, thank you for one of greatest albums!

Mikael Sköld

R.I.P. Donna . You were the first and only disco Queen that I ever bothered to listen to as a hard core Hard Rock fan.

You will be the only Disco Star for me.

jean jones

R.I.P Donna Summer and Chuck Brown.