'American Idol'

Phillip Phillips Needs

Surgery ... REAL BAD

5/18/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0518_phillip_phillips_article_2
Phillip Phillips
-- one of the finalists on "American Idol" -- has been URGED by his personal doctor to get surgery immediately ... but Phillip wants to work through the pain and the risk so he can win next week.

Multiple "Idol" sources tell us ... when Phillip went back home to Georgia last Saturday ... his family doctor spent almost the entire stay by his side and was alarmed by what he saw -- Phillip wasn't eating and looked horrible.

Phillip suffers from severe kidney problems and at the beginning of the competition it got so bad he had a stent put in as a temporary fix until he could have surgery. But the condition has worsened and Phillip's doc told him he needed surgery now. Phillip said he was not going to drop out of the show so the doctor told him he ABSOLUTELY had to go under the knife immediately after the finale.

We're told the recovery time for the surgery is at least 6 weeks.

Phillip's condition is taking its toll -- we're told the medication causes dry mouth, and it's had some impact on his singing.

Phillip has also missed some of the field productions that are shot for the show -- including the Ford commercials. Our "Idol" sources tell us they felt that making him go on location for these shoots were just too taxing.

0518_phillip_phillips_wailing_footer_v2

Tacha

My prayers are with you Phillip, you are my favorite!!!! Hugs from Seattle, WA
Tacha

Merlyne

If Phillips is REALLY that sick and chooses to stay on the show then there is well wishes to him but there should be absolutely no pity in his performance . It is a choice he made and i am sure it is because he know he can hold on for another week. If the pain was really bad, i am sure he would not be able to.
With that said..Good Luck to Both

Liza

Its seem the runner up does better than the winner in most cases as have seen in the past, i hope he is the runner up, we will will hear an cd before the winner..as shown in the past shows

JD

Publicity stunt, so he can get people's sympathy and vote for him next week. BOOO!!!!

TG

Judging by the # of views on youtube and the likes on facebook it looks like jessica is the favorite by a longshot...

Nathanael

Having read some of the comments below this story, some people need to get a grip on reality!! Do some people seriously think he's doing it for sympathy votes?!! This story has not been put out by Philip himself, or American Idol. And, as somebody in need of a kidney transplant, (and therefore understands kidney problems) I'd much rather be in fantastic health, getting 'normal' votes based on my talent, than with a kidney problem and getting sympathy votes because I'm ill! Those sympathy votes would have nothing to do with my talen. And, in a competition that is supposed to be based on talent, I wouldn't want 'sympathy votes'!!

Take care of your health first, Philip! Fame, money and a recording contract can wait!!

Nathanael

Having read some of the comments below this story, some people need to get a grip on reality!! Do some people seriously think he's doing it for sympathy votes?!! As somebody in need of a kidney transplant, (and therefore understands kidney problems) I'd much rather be in fantastic health, getting 'normal' votes based on my talent, than with a kidney problem and getting sympathy votes because I'm ill! Those sympathy votes would have nothing to do with my talent. And, in a competition that is supposed to be based on talent, I wouldn't want 'sympathy votes'!!

Integral Doc

Phillip Phillips has an unusual amount of talent for a young man. I believe he is also marketable in a way the other two are not (Joshua and Jessica).

Both Joshua and Jessica are gifted vocalists and, in the case of Joshua, a very good performer. I think marketing Joshua is going to be a challenge....his style, beautiful as it is, no longer sells records. Jessica's vocal gifts are rare. Believe the hype from Jimmy and the judges about Jessica. regarding Jessica I think she's too young to be marketable to the age group that can appreciate her skills and doesn't really look the part to sell to the younger crowd.

Trips31

Phillip has been my favorite since the beginning. Original (not monotone) Music runs through his veins. I hope he feels better and gets the treatment he needs. After he wins of course!

Powermac

sympathy votes.

Sally Johnson

Go Phillip Go! Praying you WIN.. BUT, now that I have read this article about your health.. you MUST get this surgery as soon as possible.. NOTHING is worth your
health Phillip.
So.. go and win this thing so you can be well again.. good luck! I will miss seeing your smiling face ....
xx oo Sally

Jon

Laura Prudon actually thinks her opinion matters. (((LOL))) The white guy, really?

chris

phillip deserves to win he's sings his own style of music. jessica does alot of screaming and less singing . too much like whitney and she needed to make her own style.

catherine

Is the price of FAME worth your life?? It is so ridiculous how celebrities starve and destroy there health over pictures on Magazine covers, and constant spotlight attentions!! Listen to your body
it doesn't lie to you!