Jackie Chan

I'm QUITTING

Action Movies

5/18/2012 11:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0518_jackie_chan_getty
Jackie Chan's fighting days are OVER ... at least on camera ... 'cause the legendary actor says he's giving up action movies so he can become "the Asian Robert De Niro."

The 58-year-old was promoting his 100th flick, "Chinese Zodiac" earlier today -- when he told reporters, "This will be my last action movie."

He explained, "I tell you, I am not young any more ... I am really, really tired."

Chan -- who has famously performed his own stunts for decades -- added, "The world is too violent now. It's a dilemma because I like action, but I don't like the violence."

He continued, "I don't just want to be an action star ... I want to be a true actor. I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro."

"I want to get rid of my image. So, for the last ten years I've done other films like 'The Karate Kid' where I'd rather play an old man. I want the audience to know I'm not just about fighting or comedy, also I can act."

Chan has suffered countless injuries on the sets of his movies ... and FUN FACT -- he appeared as an uncredited prison thug in the Bruce Lee classic, "Enter the Dragon" back in 1973.

0518_jackie_chan_footer

superbadnerves1

He was handsome when he was younger

shelley

That's too bad. I think he's hilarious and love the movies I've seen with him.

O_o

oooooh i love chan...but, i fear that his talent is too specific to transition into the type of career he's talking about. i'm cheerin for ya buddy!! i hope you can pull it off. =D

Victoria

Go for it Jackie!! I love the movies that youve done, I will be looking forward to watching you as a more serious actor :) although i will miss your stunts because those were amazing! Dont worry your fans have your back baby<3 we will be watching:)

Everyones~A~Star

Love his work!! He is just as good with comedy as he is with fighting! Im sure his non action flicks will still rock!

Sunset

He seems like a very nice guy. Not sure about him becoming a high-profile actor but I wish him the best of luck nonetheless...

gamepro

Wtf this is bs he is really good in action movies and needs to stay in them and now I know their wont be a rush hour 4 ugh

Jay W.

"YO" .... JackEEE Hell, he's not Italian.

Regina

I don't particularly like Jackie Chan but his movies have to be a lot better than that dumb as hell commercial he does for some ice tea drink or Snapple or whatever.

NTL

I can't this man is nearly 60 yrs old!

Throwback kid

Good for him! now if Jessica Alba will stop making movies all together we will never have to suffer through another one of her poorly acted box office bombs like Good Luck Chuck or the Love Guru. It would also be good news if Kris Klein and Ashton Kutcher would give up acting too!

Carla S.

I'm proud Jackie knows when to quit. He swore he'd never use CG effects for his stunts and has a few times, it really was time for him to hang up his hat if he wasn't going to bring it anymore. Glad he was able to survive intact and is continuing to evolve as a performer. What a rock star.

Muppet

All the best to him. I have enjoyed his movies and hope he will mentor someone else so they can do stunts like his and act in action movies. Calmer roles for him will keep him safe. Wise decision.

55vineyard

Sorry to hear that, the few times I saw him in movies, he was hysterically funny.

Seldombinlaid

Love this dude. What an excellent actor, and genuinly nice person. He probably by now has enough money to retire.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments