Ex-James Bond OUTRAGED

Over Heineken Deal --

New 007's a Sellout!!!

5/23/2012 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0522_George-Lazenby_heineken_logo_2
They don't make 'em like they used to -- at least according to the guy who played James Bond in 1969, who's pissed the new Bond film has axed 007's signature martini ... in favor of a corporate-sponsored beer.

If you don't know ... the people behind Daniel Craig's next Bond flick "Skyfall" closed a reported $45 million deal with Heineken -- forcing the iconic character to drink beer in the movie, instead of a vodka martini ... Bond's famous drink of choice.

Bond orders the drink in practically every movie ever -- just check the clip below from "The World Is Not Enough."

Devoted Bond fans everywhere are pissed -- a list that includes former James Bond actor George Lazenby, who played 007 in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service."

Lazenby tells us, cutting the martini in favor of a Heiney breaks a sacred tradition -- and to add insult to injury, "It's not the best beer out there, either."

Lazenby adds, it's sad filmmakers will always "go where the money is."

margo schwab

next thingk you know is Bond will be driving an SUV or truck....this is so wrong for the story line

nemesis26

>>next thingk you know is Bond will be driving an
>> SUV or truck....this is so wrong for the story line

Heh. Perhaps if GM ponies up enough cash, James Bond's wheels of choice will be a Buick.

w

wtf is wrong with people, greedy little mf'er's. well I won't be going to see this bond movie now, maybe I'll glance at it when its free on cable, but they're not getting my dime.

bond + beer = lame

Kelly Kelly

In Quantum of Solace, they actually showed how he came up with the drink. Now, in Skyfall, they want to do away with it all together? Wow, MGM IS doing bad.

STFUP

Lazenby is 100% correct. I've been saying this since I first heard about the Heineken deal.
Product placement has gotten out of hand when it changes something fundamental about a character that's been on-screen for, literally, decades.
Yes, I know Bond drank mostly scotch & bourbon in the books (actually he's drank more champagne than anything else in all of the Bond books), but ON-SCREEN the #1 choice is always the Vodka Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred.
Couldn't they have at LEAST tried to get a vodka maker as the product placement? I could handle that. For example: "I'll Have a GREY GOOSE Vodka Martini - shaken, not stirred." Isn't that better than "I'll have a Heineken."? What a joke.
Bond is dead to me now.

STFUP

Bond is dead to me now.

ech56

Lazen who? This guy wasn't even a REAL Bond! who cares what he thinks

erkg

Sell out - surprised the family let it happen.

tenley

What, so it would be better to have him drink a f*cking SkinnyGirl martini? How many martinis are branded, anyway?

ScubaTwinn

As a youngster, I read the Ian Fleming novels way before I was old enough to see one of the Bond movies. This is disgraceful. How low can you go to sell out?

FelixLeiter

Bond only drank a vodka martini in most films because of sponsorship by Smirnoff. His Vesper (an actual drink, which is delicious if you make it) was faithfully recreated in Casino Royale - so Craig's paid his dues. Most of the other books saw him drinking whiskey or rum.

who dat

Beer sales have fallen WAY down in the last few years. it's no surprise that this deal was struck. If the movie is good, it won't be any big deal (that)Bond, James Bond drinks beer.

Anon123

Have to agree with the up roar at dropping the martini. But if you really wanted to get Corp sponsorship - get Dos Exquis to sponsor the movie! Can't you just see 007 walk up to order his trade-mark martini, and The Most Interesting Man In The World, walk up next to him and order a Dos Equis?

ManiacalZebra

It's sad that they chose money over tradition. James Bond drinks martinis - shaken not stirred. Period.

Laurie123

Please no - James Bond does not drink beer! Say it ain't so!! Beer is tacky and cheap, it may taste good, but it's still tacky and cheap. What's next, have James Bond drive a Chrsyler minivan to Wal-Mart? (My husband does that, but he's not James Bond!)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments