Taylor Hicks

'Idol' STILL Makes Stars

... Just Look at Me!!!

5/26/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0525_taylor_hicks_article
"American Idol" champ Kris Allen is DEAD WRONG ... the show has life in it yet ... at least according to Season 5 champ Taylor Hicks -- and his own shining success is proof.

As we reported, Kris Allen thinks it's about time "Idol" producers pulled the plug on the operation -- after this season's finale put up the lowest ratings in the show's history.

But Taylor tells TMZ, "American Idol is a juggernaut ... Because of my American Idol win, I am able to do the thing that I love most, which is to be an entertainer."

Taylor adds, "The fact that I am headlining Vegas 6 years after auditioning there and then ultimately winning AI is testament to the incredible platform the show continues to provide for me."

Taylor won "Idol" in 2006 and was signed to Arista Records. Arista dropped Taylor in 2008.

I am Spartacus

the fact that you're headling Vegas just shows that people will pay to see anything no matter how crappy it is.

This guy won the show as a joke. Howard Stern was telling his listeners to vote for him because the guy wasn't good, was really weird and wouldn't go on to become a big star.

The show is a joke now. People enjoyed the ridiculous auditions and then they started cutting back on showing those.

ManiacalZebra

You're in Vegas because you can't sell albums and no one will see you on tour. A small venue in Vegas doesn't compare to arenas and stadiums.

Sue

It wasn't right for Kris Allen to say the comment, though their may be trust in it. The show definately needs revamping. The is the one of the season's where I just did not get into it with the top 12 that were picked. Hollywood week had great talent, one of the best though I thought 9 out of 12 were awful

Angie

I bet he wouldnt be saying that if he didnt get the Vegas gig. Taylor who??

AC

Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry and Adam Lambert all had mainstream success. Most of them being in the first 5 season minus Lambert. Being fair not everywhere wants mainstream success and have been happy performing small shows with the AI tag. Have to say they need to fix it so it focuses more on the talent then the judges.

Marsy

I don't know what you all are saying about him being a performer that Bally's gives free tickets to! I googled that and found people pay up to $68 with tax to see him. His ratings are 4 star as well. Just leave him alone. If he is happy with his life, GO ON AND BE HAPPY WITH YOURS!

VIDGMER

Arista doesn't work with Taylor anymore since 2008, correct?

Richard Tamasy

Taylor Hicks is one of the most humble winners of all of them. He knows who he is, and hopefully finds a place where his talent is appreciated. On the other hand, Kris Allen should get the lifetime achievement award for the most "UNTALENTED DOUCHE-BAG"

Vicky

I agree. Leave him alone. He's not my cup of tea, but it's his life. Maybe he's happy being just a small time performer.

Seldombinlaid

Kris Allen shouldn't have won the season that he did.

amazinglybored

Him winning is season (?) is what made me stop watching AI. He still has that skill of annoying me to no end.

Reed

Just look at you, your win is the reason I stopped watching AI.

bjay

He's right. Cuz TMZ couldn't wait to quote him, so he must be a star.

thetruth

Have you checked Ballys.com for tickets? Easy to find there. He doesn't start until June 26. Where do you expect him to be 1 month ahead?

Denver

Being a "headliner" at Dave's BBQ Grill, Carwash, Oxygen Bar and Casino 15 miles off the strip doesn't count, Taylor!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments