LeVar Burton

'Reading Rainbow' Host Rear-Ended by a Cop Car

5/28/2012 12:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0528_levar_burton_police_TMZLeVar Burton had a double whammy of a day with the cops today ... literally -- not only did he get pulled over for a moving violation, he got rear-ended by a cop car as he was pulling over!

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the legendary "Reading Rainbow" host was spotted by cops failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk in Van Nuys, CA ... so they signaled him to pull over.

We're told as Burton pulled to the side of the road, he stopped suddenly ... causing the cop car to hit him from behind. Law enforcement sources tell us the damage was just to one corner of Burton's car and it wasn't too severe.

0528_ipad_levar_burton_police_TMZ2_subassetThe story gets better for two reasons -- 1) Burton got out of the car and was actually wearing a "Reading Rainbow" shirt and 2) the cops didn't give him the original ticket.

LeVar was in good spirits after the accident, telling our photog that accidents happen and the whole incident was "just one of those things."

052812_lavar_launch

wat

Nice **** me boots.

arale norimaki

Well, Mister La Forge - it would seem that time is something that we have plenty of.

Viper652

"Scot

Really? LeVar Burton drives an ugly little econo-box? I would have expected something a bit better. I guess Star Fleet Officers don't make as much as I thought."

What the **** are you talking about Stevie Wonder. Hes driving a Lexus GS 450.

I sure hope they dont let you drive for as blind as you are.

Lynn

My nephew was on his way to a New Year's Eve party one year and was hit by a cop. The cop had no lights or sirens on and made a uturn right into my nephews car. They had to wait for a cop from a neighboring town to do the accident scene. No one was hurt so we all got a pretty good laugh out of it.

ManiacalZebra

Did the cops cite themselves? Everyone knows that in a rear-end collision, it's the rear driver's fault.

myopinion

He was a good sport about the whole situation...those cops need to take drivers education classes.

Passion Of The Taint

Slow story day!

Was Geordi wearing his visor? I had to say it...

LeVar Burton is a great person and actor! I miss TNG!

dollarbuild

I'll admit, after reading that the cops ran into Lamar, I initially thought it was the Asian cop who was driving. Then I saw that he is wearing motorcycle boots. Then I thought, of course he couldn't stop, he's wearing motorcycle boots while driving a cop car.

some1serious

LeVar handled it very well. Newsworthy in a sense that someone shows decency and respect, for a change, during a time of accident. Most celebs, even the has-been or no-names, make mountains out if mole hills. LeVar took the inconvenience with a level head and for that I THANK HIM. One less celebrity tantrum.

natureBoy007

These racist Cops are more guilty than Le Var. They should pay for the damages they caused...

tellmeaboutit

Nice job, LeVar. So many stories about jackasses creating drama and making a stop worse than it has to be. Good on you!

karmabug

Aww I love LeVar! Glad everything is fine and they can laugh about it. Love LeVar's questioning: "Which one? Roots, Reading Rainbow or Star Trek?" hahaha

Cognizant _illiberal

thestupid

This guy is the beast man around! When I was hung over at Comic Con he was SOOOOOO nice! (and understood)

Truth

WHOA!!! DUDE IS 55 YRS OLD BLACK DON'T CRACK. WELL... JUST AROUND THE EDGES AND IF THEY'RE DOING THAT WHITE ISH, JUST SAYIN. #TRUTH!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments