LeVar Burton

'Reading Rainbow' Host Rear-Ended by a Cop Car

5/28/2012 12:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0528_levar_burton_police_TMZLeVar Burton had a double whammy of a day with the cops today ... literally -- not only did he get pulled over for a moving violation, he got rear-ended by a cop car as he was pulling over!

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the legendary "Reading Rainbow" host was spotted by cops failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk in Van Nuys, CA ... so they signaled him to pull over.

We're told as Burton pulled to the side of the road, he stopped suddenly ... causing the cop car to hit him from behind. Law enforcement sources tell us the damage was just to one corner of Burton's car and it wasn't too severe.

0528_ipad_levar_burton_police_TMZ2_subassetThe story gets better for two reasons -- 1) Burton got out of the car and was actually wearing a "Reading Rainbow" shirt and 2) the cops didn't give him the original ticket.

LeVar was in good spirits after the accident, telling our photog that accidents happen and the whole incident was "just one of those things."

052812_lavar_launch

EMP BITE ME

Why is this even News?

DaveT

"failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk .
---
I do that all the time. Not on purpose. We just have a lot of pedestrians in this city who are arrogant, pushy people.
Stepping off the sidewalk without looking, with their nose in the air, then give you a dirty look if you have to hit the breaks, especially at 4-way stops.
We've had a lot of pedestrians hit by cars in this city, but the city cameras on the stop lights almost always prove that it was the pedestrian's fault.

sroberts2037

There is a guy here locally in Texas that works as a cashier at Wal-Mart and owns a non profit pet rescue that I swear could pass as his twin. They look that alike.

News Flash

Running out of stories? We already know how stupid cops are.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Now that's a hustla. Get a ticket make the cops rear end you. Instant cancellation.

Bridget

Would you want to be the cop that gave ****a Kinte a ticket? I think not...

Yep it was smart to let the ticket thing go after they smacked into his car, whoops, lol.

static

Racism.

two cents

That's hilarious!! I'll have to try stopping quick next time I get pulled over. lol

Marie

Yeah, if a cop rear ends me, I better NOT get a ticket!!

DaveT

"Watch me make this cop hit me with his car"......errrrrt!.....slam!.....Bahahahaha!

Santo

"I told Pierce all I wanted was a picture of Lavar Burton! You can't disappoint a picture! Ahhh!"

-Troy, from Community

Kelly

Not the first time he's been "rear ended" I'm sure.

Sunset

LOVE LeVar Burton and Reading Rainbow! Great show, great memories.

VictoriaGirl

So because the police ran into his car on "official police business" Im guessing he's going to have to pay for getting his car fixed, if theres any damage with his own money.

Bill C.

Shouldn't the cop be ticketed for failing to maintain a safe distance?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments