Kat Von D

Sued Over Cat-Killing Fire

5/29/2012 3:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0529_kat_von_d_catKat Von D foolishly set her own house ablaze in 2010, killing her cat in the process -- this according to a new lawsuit -- and now, she's being sued for nearly a MILLION bucks in damages.

State Farm Insurance filed the lawsuit against Kat today in L.A. County Superior Court, claiming the 2010 fire that ripped through the reality star's Hollywood Hills home was her own fault ... and she should foot the bill.

According to the lawsuit, Kat foolishly placed several lit candles in the house -- and the candles then set the house on fire (a fire that killed Kat's feline friend named Valentine).

It was no small blaze either -- State Farm claims the fire caused $909,199 in damages.

State Farm dutifully covered the bill -- but now the insurance company is suing, demanding Kat pay it back for her own carelessness.

Calls to Kat's people were not returned.

0523_house_fires_footer

adelle

This woman is disgusting and irresponsible. It sickens me that because she was too much of a half-wit to blow out her candles a precious innocent animal had to pay the price for her stupid degenerate *ss. Her plastic surgery is also tragic and atrocious. Stop with the surgery and stop putting 3 pounds of make up on your face. Just accept the fact that you're butt ugly and move on.

JoceLyneLou

I don't know why State Farm paid her in the first place....No, insurance does not cover for your own negligence...otherwise, it would be quite easy for people to get that type of insurance, let the house burn down to the ground and get paid for it. Common sense, people, common sense!

Truth

AS A **** WHO BURNS CANDLES THERE IS SOME SENSE OF LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS JOKE BITCH TO KNOW HOW MANY IS TOO MANY CANDLES AND SOME BASIC KNOWLEDGE TO BLOW THE F*CKING CANDLES OUT WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN THE HOUSE. THAT'S THE ISSUE STATE FARM HAS WITH THIS IDIOT. THEY PROLLY THOT BEING A CELEB THEY BETTER PAY OUT THE INSURANCE FAST AS A PR CASE.. BUT THEN UNDER FURTHER INVESTIGATION KAT'S OWN INTENTIONAL AND FRAUDULENT STUPIDITY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FIRE. #TRUTH!!

Ralph

Well State Farm sucks.

janet

Ok, initially the house caught fire. Further investigation showed it was actually her fault. Insurance company is just shy of not saying 'intent' .

tansubh

What? Isn't the very reason we get insurance so that if something like this happens they cover it? Why else do we get insurance? I would venture to say that 80& of the people in this country light candles. Accidents happen. Unless the insurance specified that she can't have candles in the house I'd say the insurance company is on the hook to pay.

SoWhat

OMG!! She used candles, in her house? How stupid she can she be?

My god, that is a lame excuse from State Farm. What, do they think candles are just meant for decoration or what? So an accident happened, so what, she didn't purposefully set her house on fire and kill her own cat. Accidents like that, among other things, are exactly why we pay home owners insurance. They are just trying to get out of paying someone.

Graham

Read the legal docs -- It wasn't her house - it was a rental - state farm paid out to the owner and is now going after Kat -- the tenant, for the damages. If she has renters insurance they'll pay out.

amsjll

I got turned down for a small claim because we are 5 miles from a mine. Soooo a mine on the other side of a large river and a good ways away had some sort of internal collapse and so my window broke. They think. I mentioned that the mine that I am nowhere near is a strip mine, no tunnels to collapse, just long ago dug holes now turned man-made LAKES. I got "ummmmm.... well its not covered. Have a nice day!". Hate them...

Annie Tame

If anyone is familiar with LA INK. People would have seen Valentine featured often and she loved her cat more than life itself. I think we all have lite candles in out houses at one time or another. We have insurance to accidents. She never would have intentionally set her house on fire ESPECAILLY with her cat being in danger. I feel sorry for her. Se loved that cat so much.

Savvy1

State Farm is screwed! That's why people pay for homeowners insurance.... To cover unexpected accidents, not to mention they didn't have a problem paying the bill initially so go luck convincing a judge to return it. Sux about the cat.

Kathy90277

I make candles as a hobby and I can tell you, there are people who are very careless when lighting candles and leaving them lit all around the house. Also they do try to blame everyone else but themselves and their carelessness.

tellmeaboutit

Now that I know about that poor cat, I like her even less than I did before, and I really, really disliked her before.

Savvy1

HEY TMZ, WHO'S BRAINIAC IDEA WAS IT TO PUT THE LIKE BUTTON A FRIKKEN MILLAMETER APART FROM EACH OTHER.?????? My fat fingers are "Reporting" every comment I meant to LIKE, you guys need to fix that rediculous layout. "Report" should be at the far left...so ur only getting reports on the ones who actually meant to report!!! DUHHHHHHH

Kathy90277

It's very possible she had lit candles near open windows where curtins could have caught fire. Quit feeling sorry for her and blaming insurance company,

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments