Kathie Lee to Martin Short

How's Your Wife ...

Who Died 2 Years Ago

5/30/2012 10:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

053012_martin_short_today_launch
It might be the most cringeworthy few seconds in TV history -- Kathie Lee Gifford asked Martin Short how his wife is doing ... one small problem ... she died 2 years ago.

Martin appeared on "The Today Show" this morning to promote his new movie, "Madagascar 3" -- when Kathie asked, "And you and Nancy have one of the greatest marriages of anybody in show business. How many years now for you guys?"

Martin doesn't know how to respond, saying, "We ... have ... married ... 36 years."

Apparently Kathie didn't get the memo -- Martin's wife Nancy Dolman died in August 2010 from ovarian cancer.

0530_martin_short_nancy_getty
The clip gets even worse -- you have to watch.

Kathie later apologized on the air -- saying, "I feel so badly ... my apologies to him and his family."

Spoch

What a couple of idiots....would it hurt to have spent a few minutes googling him before he came on the show? I can't stand KLG anyway and this just adds to my list of reasons.

sue22

What a dip ****!

Jill Conway

Kathie Lee always was and always will be an obnoxious idiot. Both these yentas drive me nuts!

JLo on Steroids

DO YOUR RESEARCH you talking head!! putting real broadcast journalists out of work

joecrabs

What a dope. For those of you saying "give her a break, she didn't know" or "honest mistake", I call BS. It's her job to know at least that minor little detail before doing an interview.

Margaret

Martin Short is not only incredibly talented, but a fine human being. What a classy guy. He could have humiliated (deservedly) this idiot woman (Kathy Lee) but instead shined it on. What a fine man.

Vivek

http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3384328 What a goof up, honestly that is so shocking, to be very honest she needs to apologize on air, Here is a look at what did have to say after the interview was done with and when she realized that she had made a blunder.

Shakira

She should be fired for this....

Rhonda C. Poynter

No excuse - she should have done her homework on the man...I am so used to hearing her make idiotic comments like this that had Mr. Short corrected her (I think he was extremely classy in his reaction) and told her, Well, my wife is deceased, I just know KL's next question would have been, "Sooo...are you dating, yet?" Pathetic, and why I don't watch NBC Mornings -

Rhonda C. Poynter

No excuse - she should have done even a few minutes' homework on the man, for God's sake. I am so used to her being an idiot, that had Mr. Short actually corrected her with, "Well, my wife is deceased," I wouldn't have been surprised if KL had made things even more pathetic by saying, "Oh, well, gosh, are you dating anybody special, yet?" I absolutely refuse to watch NBC mornings because of morons like this -

Rhonda C. Poynter

Sorry for hogging space with a double post - computer crashed and I thought it got dumped...

MiChEle

Why is Kathy Lee still around? She is a talentless, tiresome, pretentious, half-witted old has-been.

HMichaelH

I don't know. What do you think? Would it be difficult to find anyone who is a bigger anus than Kathie Lee Gifford? I'm just asking!

Laura Tomelin

I had the pleasure of meeting Martin when I catered to the film industry back in the 80's. I was late for his lunch because I got a speeding ticket and found out my licence had expired.(I had just moved back to Ontario from B.C.) The officer wouldn't let me drive back to the kitchen where I was going to pick up the food. My boss dropped me off in her Mercedes after I taxied my sorry ass to pick up the food. Thank god they were able to push lunch ahead by an hour but unfortunately Martin had to be at makeup. He did stop by to see what he could pick at as I set up. I apologized profusely but he just chuckled at my story and didn't complain, sweet. He reminded me of how nice John Candy too was at a lunch, real genuine good people. Miss the ol team of Second City TV when Global TV first aired.

Nishima

Kathie Lee Gifford forgets MARTIN SHORT wife is dead on Today Show: HUGE MISTAKE ..http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3384348