Kathie Lee to Martin Short

How's Your Wife ...

Who Died 2 Years Ago

5/30/2012 10:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

053012_martin_short_today_launch
It might be the most cringeworthy few seconds in TV history -- Kathie Lee Gifford asked Martin Short how his wife is doing ... one small problem ... she died 2 years ago.

Martin appeared on "The Today Show" this morning to promote his new movie, "Madagascar 3" -- when Kathie asked, "And you and Nancy have one of the greatest marriages of anybody in show business. How many years now for you guys?"

Martin doesn't know how to respond, saying, "We ... have ... married ... 36 years."

Apparently Kathie didn't get the memo -- Martin's wife Nancy Dolman died in August 2010 from ovarian cancer.

0530_martin_short_nancy_getty
The clip gets even worse -- you have to watch.

Kathie later apologized on the air -- saying, "I feel so badly ... my apologies to him and his family."

ShellBell

Ya bunch of dips--- Kathie Lee doesn't drink AT ALL! And for her to accept an award and say "Suck it Jesus" hardly qualifies her as a religious freak as some other poster said. For cryin' out loud--it's Martin Short!-- I'm surprised he even had a wife!

Me

What a dumb witch!!! Really..She really needs to get off the air and try and keep her family together and happy..gggeeezzz

LB

In her defense, she had already had three glasses of breakfast wine by the time Martin came out; anyone could have made that mistake.

My$opinion

she's a idiot what do you expect Now a day you get job's because of who you know. It's her job to know her interviewee. modern day LUCY but Lucy was funny. she is Pathetic

GLP

In fairness, this is sort of Martin Shorts fault as well.

He should have responded differently, and said "Well.. we had been married 36 years, and since she passed away a year and a half ago... etc.. etc.."

I won't grow up

How in God's name does this stupid, vapid twa* still have a job? She'll blame a researcher. She has always been a talentless wannabe.
Short has true class, I would have told her have her "My wife died two years ago you stupid cow!"

bjay

Poor guy. How awful for him.

ssatinddoll

First let me say I don't and never have cared for Kathy Lee Gifford. I find her extremely annoying. That being said, in all honesty, I think we should give her a break on this one. It was an innocent mistake anyone could have made. Sure, she should have done her homework as far as researching her guest a bit better, but it seemed like she was familiar with Short and his family. She was obviously not a close acquaintance (or she would have known), but she seemed to know him and know about him. I didn’t know about his wife’s death, and I consider myself a Martin Short fan. One of the reasons I don't care for KLG is because she seems so phony to me. But in this instance her apology sounded quite heartfelt and sincere.

dorame80

She is an idiot.....what ever happen to research.......what a dumb, b....

yuckmouth

Stupid bitch should do her research or at least pay someone else to do it. No excuse for this.

JM

It's kind of her job to aware of things like these...

MadLaugh

Anyone else notice how she tried to blame him for her screw up? 0:40 "And the way he was speaking of her... Sounded like... He..." And then they just happily move on to the next story. Kathy Lee is a horrible person.

Msgalfriday

Well, she`s an idiot, but she doesn`t do the research on her guests, that`s what the show researchers are there for. My guess is someone was sent home to spend more time with their family for that mistake. Thank God Martin Short is so classy.

Dougdenslowe

It reminds me of when Regis used to ask Liberace when he was getting married and what lady he was dating!

Rachel

I remember hearing about Nancy's death. I felt so horrible for Martin, he lost the love of his life. Yes, Kathy Lee made a mistake and OOPs, mistakes happen. BUT, if it's part of your job to interview people, then it's part of your job to get the facts straight BEFORE you start blabbing away. Shame on you Kathy Lee for not doing your research.