Sesame Street

Allegedly Used to Torture

Guantanamo Bay Prisoners

5/31/2012 6:07 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0531_big_bird_guantanamo_bay_prisoners_getty
Forget waterboarding, Guantanamo Bay prisoners are now being tortured by BIG BIRD -- at least according to a new documentary released by Al Jazeera.

According to the doc -- called "Songs of War" -- detainees at the U.S. Naval base have been forced to wear headphones blaring Sesame Street music on repeat for hours or days on end ... to break their will (start at 2:00).

Award-winning Sesame Street composer Christopher Cerf tells Al Jazeera, "My first reaction was this just can't possibly be true ... "

Cerf says, "Of course I didn't really like the idea that I was helping break down prisoners, but it was much worse when I heard later that they were actually using the music in Guantanamo to do deep, long-term interrogations and obviously to inflict enough pain on prisoners so they would talk."

Reports surfaced in 2008 ... heavy metal like Metallica was used to torture people at Guantanamo -- but we gotta say, Sesame Street might just be worse.

eric laroze

that's nothin I'm still singing the oscar meyer song in my head 4 35yrs!

Keksi

On a good side,released prisoners have been starting Metallica fan clubs in their native countries.

uncle babes

so did the prisoners found out how to get to sesame street?

bunny

Sesame Street music is definitely torture. I don't think the Metallica music would bother them.

ShrinkWrap

They could force them to watch TMZ 24/7. That would be horrible! LOL!! Just kidding, Harvey!

O_o

i wonder what it is about the melodies that causes ppl to crack. is it sesame street - or would any repetition do? ...just asking, for my own prison camp torture expedition.

JTz

Sesame street? LOL When I was stationed in Korea, I was patrolling a post with a prison right outside, they played American pop music (Britney, Nsync, BSB etc) for 23 hours a day. Hahaha. Being an 18 year old, I loved it.

Cyrus

This is so weird...and this is right when they're making a new movie too according to this:

Cyrus

This is so weird... and its right near the time when they're working on a new movie too according to this article:

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4