Archie Comics

Gay Green Lantern

Took Our Lead

6/2/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0601_kevin_keller_archie_married
The Green Lantern isn't the gay pioneer everyone thinks he is -- at least according to the people over at Archie Comics, who claim THEY created the first ever gay comic book character.

The gay doodle is Kevin Keller (right) -- an active U.S. military officer who married his partner in the January 2012 issue of Archie Comics.

DC Comics followed suit Friday -- announcing The Green Lantern would be be rebooted as a gay character.

Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater tells TMZ, "We love the fact that everyone is following Archie's lead. We broke new ground. We have led in so many areas. We are proud we are first."

But the real reason Goldwater's so excited -- he tells us, "The more people are supportive of this cause, I think it's only going to be helpful in making gay marriage legal in as many places as possible."

Edward F Harvey Jr

Why DC Making Alan Scott Gay Doesn't Matter

AntiPalinAlaska

Has there been an openly lesbian superhero yet?

Hyde

I've nothing against gay people and fully support gay marriage, but I'm getting pretty sick of this agenda.

ken

people, its fictional characters, who cares. second of all i dont need a book of fiction i.e. the bible to tell me how to live my life. i live it just fine. i think the fact that i havent ever killed anybody or anything, or cheated on anybody or anything, or that i havent ever been drunk, stoned, or repeatedly visited rehab speaks not on how a book tells me to live my life, but on the proper raising i had BY MY PARENTS!!! ev1 should stop relying on a BOOK!! and start relying on their common sense. ok im done ev1 have a GREAT day and a pleasant evening

Michael

I think the guys at Archie are drinking the same Kool-Aid as Howard Stern.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4