Kathryn Joosten

Dead at 72

6/2/2012 12:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0602_Kathryn_Joosten_gettyKathryn Joosten, perhaps best known for her role as Karen McKluskey on "Desperate Housewives," died Friday after a long bout with lung cancer. She was 72.

Joosten won Emmys in 2005 and 2008 for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her role on "Housewives." She was nominated for a third time in 2010.

Joosten also played Mrs. Landingham for two seasons on the show "The West Wing."

She was first diagnosed with lung cancer in 2001 and it returned in September 2009.

A rep for the actress says she was surrounded by family when she passed.

rosebud

Wonderful actress, RIP.

Michelle

She was one of a kind. To me she will always be Mrs. Landingham! RIP

harleyharlett

that is sad, i didn't know her story line in house wives was true(

MP

How very sad. I knew her lung cancer came back, but I really hoped she would beat it. She was blessed to have some unforgettable characters during her career. Condolences to her family and friends.

stegeroonie

RIP, you were one wonderful women a pillar of strength!! Thank you for your years a great acting and always making us smile on DH.

bertrand

I commend Kathryn Joosten for disclosing her condition and allowing Mark Cherry to cover this very sensitive subject in Desperate Housewives, thus taking part to a broader awareness to the audience of the tradegy of tobacco-induced lung cancer. Thank you.

go home!

Rest in peace Kathy. Such sad news. She was a true talent and her work on Desperate Housewives was always hilarious. She will be missed by many. She made her mark on this world.

Jackie

Damn ...I liked her a lot on DH, very funny.....RIP

garyleenance@yahoo.com

I did watch Desperate Housewives, but I LOVED her on The West Wing, and it was so sad when her character on that show died in a car crash. Rest in Peace Kathryn!

Jean Ann Milton

I THINK SHE PLAYED ON THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS A FEW YEARS BACK I DONT REMEMBER WHO SHE PLAYED I DID REALLY LIKE HER ON DESPERATE HOUSE WIVES

peter barry

loved her on one of the best episodes of scrubs.she was also on the the series finale of scrubs

onecoolgrama

She was loved and will be missed. I had no idea she and Karen were both dieing of cancer. What a selfless woman to play the role of her life, on TV. So sorry.

The Evil Puppy

So wait she died on the finale of cancer and then she dies 3 weeks later of cancer in real life? Weird. Rip..

paulie daniel

very sad. But come on tmz spell check! houewives? really...

Kaitlynnelson