Gwyneth Paltrow

Triggers Racial Controversy

after Using N-Word

6/4/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0604_gwenith_paltrow_on_stage_twitterGwyneth Paltrow ignited a firestorm of criticism after blasting the N-word to her one million Twitter followers this weekend ... while describing a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert in Paris.

Paltrow was rockin out Friday at the "Watch the Throne Tour" ... when she decided to send a twitter pic of herself on stage (above) with the rappers and the caption "Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner --  that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

The tweet triggered a tidal wave of negative internet buzz ... with fans questioning whether Gwyneth was using the term in a derogatory way. GP later responded unapologetically, "Hold up. It's the title of the song!"

That said, Jay and Kanye did go on to perform their hit song "Ni**as in Paris" a whopping 11 times that night.

RamHead

"Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner -- that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

I've not been under a rock and I'm neither Kris Jenner, but I don't know this song. You know why? I don't give a damn about ......what were their names?

Vanessa

Looks like Gwyneth aka blue-blooded-blonde-rich-beeyotch might be getting a little too comfortable around her black friends…!! watch out Bey Bey :/

Pimpcessa

Soon will come a day when a white person, singing along with this son will get thrown in jail......

Pimpcessa

If she apologizes for this, I will dislike her more than I already do! don't even think about it gurrrrl!

ManiacalZebra

I think it's ridiculous that blacks demand equality, then turn around and say that certain words are exclusively for black use. If it's a bad word, NO ONE should be allowed to use it. If it's OK for one group to use it, it should be OK for all to use it.

Joao

THAT'S TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. THAT'S WHAT NI**AS CALL THEMSELVES. THEY HAVE NO SHAME OR RACIAL PRIDE. WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL. I'M MUST BE MISSING SOMETHING HERE.. THAT'S THE NAME OF THE DAMN SONG.

Imperial

I wish NOBODY would use it! But, people who are not African-American certainly shouldn't use it. Whatever her intention smay have been-she was dead wrong. Whether we want to remember it or not, the word does have historical significance and is a racial slur. Didn't she for a second realize that saying N*** in Paris for real" is the same as saying "they really are N***s that are really in Paris"?? I thought she had more sense that to ever Tweet something like that. I have no sympathy for her getting this backlash. Make better decisions Gwen-geez!

Michael Jackson Was A Pedo

So some black guys put the n-word in the title of their song and you're not allowed to say the name of the song unless you're black? How f***ing dumb. She didn't do anything wrong. People are just f***ing morons.

cece

NO ONE SHOULD USE THE N WORD
Gwyneth, Kayne and Jay Z included

LOVELIFE

OH PLEASE WHY CAN'T SHE SAY ? BECAUSE SHE'S NOT BLACK ? IF SO ALL OF THE ABOVE NEEDS TO STOP USING THE ((N. WORD)) COME PEOPLE WAKE UP!

Ben

She is a Dem, Obama Supporter, Shes ok to do and say what she wants.

jason

She was clearly using the term to fit in. She's just another wannabe poser. There was nothing derogatory about what she said. And only an idiot with an attitude would think different. Ya, that means all of you!

Kali

This isn't controversy. Jay Z's rap career is done, Beyonce is now irrelevant now that Jay-Z is replacing her with Rita Ora, and Goopy's marriage is over. They needed attention and this is how they got it.
The better question is: why does the Carter family still carry that kid under a blanket? My thought is because the kid doesn't look like either one of them.
The kid looks exactly like the surrogate.
Pimp Mama Tina will have to dig an extramarital affair with a Latin guy out of her wig to save her granddaughter's face.

kim

yeah...it's ok for every rap singer or African to spout the N word but if ANY white person says it, it is horrendous, such bull****! They keep the racism alive and well with the 'it's ok for me and not you' attitude

Elizabeth

So sad...why do people want permission to use this word? 80% say fair game for Gwenth? No no no.

You see, these two IGNORANT rappers chose to put that word in that song. They may not care who uses it, but they do not speak for all African Americans. I, an African American do care and I do not use it in my home, nor did my parents, nor does my family, nor do my friends, and nor should Gweneth.

Can we please just stop using the word? And while I'm at it, can people please stop thinking that people like Jay-Z and Kanye represent all African Americans? Please?