Gwyneth Paltrow

Triggers Racial Controversy

after Using N-Word

6/4/2012 10:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0604_gwenith_paltrow_on_stage_twitterGwyneth Paltrow ignited a firestorm of criticism after blasting the N-word to her one million Twitter followers this weekend ... while describing a Jay-Z and Kanye West concert in Paris.

Paltrow was rockin out Friday at the "Watch the Throne Tour" ... when she decided to send a twitter pic of herself on stage (above) with the rappers and the caption "Ni**as in paris for real." If you've been under a rock -- or if you're Kris Jenner --  that's the title of a Jay and Kanye song.

The tweet triggered a tidal wave of negative internet buzz ... with fans questioning whether Gwyneth was using the term in a derogatory way. GP later responded unapologetically, "Hold up. It's the title of the song!"

That said, Jay and Kanye did go on to perform their hit song "Ni**as in Paris" a whopping 11 times that night.

Ann

Reverse racism at its' finest. It was a song title. End of story. I don't want to hear one person that is not white call us by our derogatory names like whitey, cracker and a few others. We should all be held to the same standards. I sing along with songs that have that word in it all the time. Don't want me saying it, don't put it in a song.

David

People are just so stupid. What's the big deal? Are blacks deity or something???

415 Style

She should know better anyway.

Ick

Ann

I do feel it would be better if nobody used the word considering how it came to be.

Gsharon 710

You all act as if blacks or the rappers complained. You have so much hatred, you look for every reason to spew. The name of the song...ok?

Bagheera

It is the title of the song. What, white folks cannot refer to your music no more? I am pretty sure there was a rap group called *****s With Attitude. Am I not allowed to refer to them by their name?
---
I don't think the concert was even in paris, so she couldn't have been referring to them.

Lonnie

Slow people... Here twitter followers had an issue wit her saying that... Most of them probably look like her and don't listen to rap music so they didn't know the title of the song... Kanye, JayZ, and Im sure no other black person had an issue with her tweet... Its a song, thats it... Truthfully, not too many black people even know who a Gwyneth Paltrow is in the first place... I swear most of yall are slow and stupid...

M

Let's be honest, the only way that word is going to disappear, is if white people start using it as often as blacks, and without any hesitation or worry that they are going to offend someone. And if someone does get offended, tell them to f-u-¢-k off, cause black people keep saying it. And I agree with an earlier post. The people who do get all bent out of shape, by a white person saying it, are just looking for a reason to get mad and have a n-i-g-g-a moment; and you know it's true. They looking for a reason to steal a tv. Go F--- yourself.

slosh

I think that poll is wrong IMHO..I dont think that word is right for anyone to use period..African Americans have every right to use it amongst themselves but it doesnt make it right. It is a very derogatory term no matter who uses it. I think TMZ should have added a 3rd choice. NO one

Crystal

Tye.. First of all Gwenyth is only 39. Jay-Z is 42. So whats your point? That a 39 year old white woman is too old and white to be at a rap concert?lol. Funny, but she's on stage, so Im assuming she was invited by the "band". You really should use the "stupid check" before you post

kim is a publicity whore

ok, ONE: what she said wasnt and shouldnt' be offensive because shes not using it as an insult. "N*iggas" is now considered slang which obviously came from the derogatory word "n*iggers"
so yes, it is the title to the song, but the "controversy" here is because she said FOR REAL, implying the crowd/artists there.

- and people making a big deal out of nothing, SHES FRIENDS WITH JAY AND BEYONCE.

senethiab

omgggggggggg really that the name of the song ppl get over yourselves this is totally nonsense....

Zip

I'm a mixed race Black person, and I love Gwyneth. All of her best friends are Black, she is not a racist. My only upset with her is that she did not marry me and become my wife. Her husband is a very lucky man!:) I demand that she never apologize for her N-Word comments, none is needed as it came from a place of love in her heart and soul. Let me tell you, her father Bruce was a great man, and anything but a racist, he mentored many Black kids, and turned them into successful and respected directors and producers while producing the hit TV show "The White Shadow". His daughter is as lovely and kind as her father!!! He taught her well, and is smiling upon her from Heaven right now:)))

whatsup

Forget the title..people are too quick to defend her. she said these are real N in Paris...not quoting the title of the song

tellmeaboutit

Twitter is the bane of celebrities lives. LOL They're always sharing something spur of the moment and people who are waiting for something to get pissed off about jump right on it and start snarling and barking.

Hey, Kanye (ya fool) & JZ, don't put the word in the title or in songs if you don't want people to say it. Same goes for groups like NWA. And sorry, twitter types, nothing to see or whine about this time, folks.