Hollywood 'Midget' Theater

Threatens MASSIVE Protest

Over 'Snow White'

6/6/2012 12:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0605_beechers_madhouse_logo_and_midgets_beachersmadhouse
Little people across Hollywood are rising up against the producers of "Snow White and the Huntsman" -- for casting tall people in the role of Snow White's dwarfs -- and now, a prominent "midget" theater group plans to stage an over-sized protest.

The wee man leading the charge is a guy named Matt McCarthy -- a 4'1" self-described "midget" who works for Beacher's Madhouse at the Roosevelt Hotel, a theater troupe that features more than 20 little people.

Like Little People of America, McCarthy's pissed "midgets" weren't cast as Snow White's dwarfs in the new movie -- producers cast normal-sized actors instead, digitally resizing their limbs or transplanting their faces onto little people's bodies.

0604_snow_white_and_the_huntsman_dwarves
But McCarthy's not fuming in silence -- he just fired off a letter to Universal Chairman Adam Fogelson, informing him, "In response to and in protest of this incredible injustice and prejudice, the Beacher's Madhouse midgets and I are coordinating a 100-midget march to Universal's offices."

McCarthy adds, casting average-sized actors as Snow White's dwarfs "is the equivalent of Universal casting a white actor to play a role written for an African-American person and digitally changing the color of their skin."

So far, a date for the march hasn't been set.

0605_little_people_footer

chasejordan

We love little people! especially those at Beachers Madhouse! Basil and Christine are our favorites! Goodluck at the protest!!!

DaRealDeal

Horrible, Universal !!! With the recent great success of some very talented LP's, you decide to do the modern day face paint...I hope you're proud !!!

sean smith

Gosh thats almost like casting straight people to play gay or gay people to play straight. Get over it shorty, its just a movie and they can hire who ever they want.

Bridget

They hired award winning/reconizable actors to play the roles. And it said that they digitally transplanted their faces onto little peoples bodies...which means apparently little people were hired, just not for speaking roles.

And the only award winning reconizable actors who are also little people that I can think of are Warwick Davis and Peter Dinklage. Probibly in retrospect they would have hired one or both of them for roles.

I realize they are actors and it is hard enough to make a living as an actor in the first place, let alone if they are taking away the roles you would generally get. But it is also the right for a movie maker to cast the movie how they want, even if it does kinda make them insensitive. But movie makers are generally no known for their sensativity, lol.

Why don't some of the little people in these theater groups write a script, for a great movie that will cast little people and give them a chance to show off their acting chops without having to dress up in a costume. If you're not getting the roles you want go Good Will Hunting on their behinds.

Tracey

sO THEY ARE NOT ONLY SHORT BUT RETARDED TOO? It is MY movie and I will cast whoever the hell I want to. Ya know, free country and stuff.

PathFinder

I thought saying "midget" was an insult to little people, just like calling a black person a ******. So what gives TMZ the right to use that word ? And don't say It's because they used it, just like blacks use the n word, but It's still not allowed.

Will D

I guess Universal believes there are no small parts or small actors. I've seen Matt McCarthy perform at Beacher's Madhouse; the guy is a major talent. If studios are going to deny little people the opportunity to perform in these films, and instead use special effects to make full size actors appear smaller, that is a travesty.

Charles

Seriously? So, because they are midgets in real life, that automatically entitles them to every movie role that includes short people? PLEASE!

Get a clue, you arrogant little ****s! Your defect doesn't entitle you to anything. Film makers can cast whomever the hell they want to play characters in THEIR movies..

You can't forced youself into a movie or otherwise threaten to sue them for not casting you.

Charles

OOOOOOOOOOO, BIG threat from short $#!ts!

Charles

"coordinating a 100-midget march to Universal's offices"

LOL, with their short legs, it'll take weeks before they walk their! LOL!

So, the kids are planning a field trip? LOL!

Once they get their, no one will even see them.

I can see it now: cops are called and the cops take them all back to the nearest elimentary school.

LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Christine

What do you think your protest is going to do? Shut down the movie? The name of the movie is "Snow White and The Huntsman" , not "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs". You want a movie with little people, than you make it.

Olivia

At the end of the day the producers of this film have no obligation to use little people. Maybe none of the ones that auditioned were good actors? Who knows.

Jay

I think I should sue because I'm offended they didnt consider us non-actors for the part. Then I'm going to sue because they digitally shortened arms and replaced heads. Then I'm going to sue cause I'm offended that the name rhymes with a female body part. Then I'm going to sue myself cause I can, who's with me? Lets force everyone to do what we want instead of just trying harder.

Level34

"short paople got, no reason"...

Beach Rose

This is just wrong. The 7 characters WERE dwarfs in the original fairy tale; I believe digital enhancement in film has gone too far. Let's allow what IS real to BE real! God bless the Little People - they are too often overlooked, but are so much bigger than normal-sized people in many ways. I'm full-size, BTW, but considered short at 5'2". The challenges these guys face every day, from adaptive environments in their homes, to clothes that fit properly, to dating issues....how can most of us even relate to that? And then, here comes a Blockbuster Hollywood Movie that includes (gasp) dwarfs! These very talented people are saying "Oh yeah, this would be ideal for us!" And then the studio pulls that stupid stunt. I don't think I'm going to watch this movie, just because they snubbed the Little People.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments