Phillip Phillips

FINALLY Has Surgery

For Massive Kidney Stones

6/7/2012 6:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0607_phillip_phillips_gettyPhillip Phillips finally went under the knife to remove the enormous kidney stones that almost derailed his run to the "American Idol" title ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Phillip had the 6 and a half hour long surgery in L.A. yesterday -- and he is recovering well today. The stones that were removed were so huge there was no chance he could've passed them on his own.

As TMZ first reported, Phil was scheduled to have the surgery last week ... but it was delayed because he had a fever and sinus infection.

Phillip suffered through excruciating pain during the entire season of 'Idol.' It obviously paid off.

Oh what a relief.

update_bar
9:05 AM PT -- Phillip's rep says the surgery went well, adding, "He's resting and will be ready for the Idol tour kickoff in July!"

0518_phillip_phillips_wailing_footer_v2

scoopie

He had to be hurtin really bad; I've had kidney stones that weren't anywhere near that size and amount and I was doubled over.

stu

Some1 could use a teeth whitener.

Kàt

From one stoner to another: 'Rock on' This too shall pass.

misty

I've been following phillip since AI and was worried bout his kidney issues.I couldn't believe how much pain this kid went through, following a dream.. I hope you feel better soon Phillip!!

Bridget

I'm glad he finally got it done and got through surgery okay. And I hope he has a speedy recovery. Best of luck phillip.

queen love

He makes my ears hurt with that noise that he calls "singin"...nails on a chalkboard.

dskowulf

Anyone else stop giving 2 F about idol?

LR

So glad he got it done. Kindey Stones are no joke, they hurt so bad. I have had surgery many times and am currently fighting one I have had stuck for over a month. I gave birth to twin babies and that hurt less. Wishing you a speedy recovery Phillip!

patio

Isn't he engaged too?

MzReeses

I didn't even watch Idol this year... or any of it since the original judges were on but from the clips I've heard I wouldn't doubt it the reason he won was out of pity. America loves a good sob story and Jessica Sanchez was definitely the best artist.

CelebJustice

Get well soon Phillip! Can't wait for your trip Hooome!

Joe

I would have wanted Jessica to win, but I'm glad he is alright.

samson

Phillip Phillips? Is that for real?

Miracle

Get well soon.

Woot

Yay! Success! Glad to hear that part's over with, P2. More success awaits you!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments