Amber Portwood

Overdose Attempt

Drove Me to Prison

6/7/2012 7:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

060712_portwood_gma_splash
"Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood had become so depressed in her rehab program she tried to overdose on pills -- and that's what drove her to quit drug treatment entirely ... entering prison instead.

A shackled Amber spoke with "Good Morning America" ... claiming, "I had taken 30 Suboxone [a drug used to treat opioid addictions] within 3 days. The depression took over. I would take 4 or 5 at a time."

Amber said, "I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with, and make the best of a situation that's been handed to me." Amber was sentenced to five years earlier this week.

She added, "I'm not just going to sit. I'm going to do substance abuse classes. I'm going to get my GED."

Still doesn't make any sense -- Amber had been given the opportunity to receive out-patient drug treatment ... WITHOUT PRISON ... but she chose prison anyway.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

kim is a publicity whore

you'd rather go to jail than go to rehab?!!?!?!!? and wouldnt u want to get your GED outside of prison instead? sounds much better. clearly this bitch is super ****ing stupid. good riddance then!

Metta Worldhate

This person should not be famous.

candi

this girl is a total waste of time. She's pathetic. Sorry excuse for a person much less a mother.

Sharron

So she'd rather be away from her child for 5yrs???? Taking the easy way out......

Sid

She is an IDIOT!!!! You can't OD off of Suboxone!!!! There is a ceiling when it come to how much buprenorphine will actually work. I know this cause I take suboxone daily. The reason that suboxone is used over methadone these days, is that you CAN'T od on it. Doctors don't want to give addicts a drug that they can kill themselves with cause obviously we like to take as much medication as we can and get high. She is just a stupid bitch and I am glad she is in jail. Waste of a human life.

JB

Some of that is total BS. She doesn't want to have the responsibility of being a mom - and really doesn't "want" her kid. Anyone watching the show could see that she spends her time trying to get someone else to take care of the kid. And she OD'd because she's an addict, hates the reality she created by getting pregnant, and just wanted to be so high she didn't care if she died because that's how addicts think. But she wasn't trying to kill herself. I call BS. She wanted someone to see how she was suffering, how she doesn't want to be where she is, but kids can blame everyone else today thanks to the libs, and it's not her fault. She's a pig, shes an abuser, shes an addict, shes a horrible mom, and she wants IN jail so someone else can do everything. Truth is she wants as far from the kid and the responsibilities she cand

Peter Sc

It is smart to sit and wait paid by the taxpayers money until she has done her time and can live like she want without probation.

Heather

Her daughter is better off without her! She was a crappy mom and should never have a child again. That sweet little girl deserves so much better and to be happy, not to hear fighting and cursing ever day.

Amy64

I feel so badly for the kid she has. Having a Mom being famous for being such a screw up and mean to boot. I can only hope this straightens her out or in 15 years we'll see the follow up with the little girl having a kid of her own!!! Youth is wasted on the wrong people!

Sosa

Its sad that everyone is choosing totalk bad on this young girl, due other choices. I believe she decided prison because she knows she is at a point beyond out patient, the fact that she knows that and made the prison choice that means she wants to better her self!! So to all of you, seriouly stop the hatred

Cj

I can't believe the ignorance and harshness of these comments. Amber has an addiction which is a disease. So this means shes sick and needs treatment. Do some research since most of you don't understand. It's disgusting the way you people talk about her and the problems she's having. If you understood addiction you wouldn't write the comments that you do. Amber's situation is sad and I hope she gets the help she needs so she can be there for her daughter.

lilmama329

she was also quoted saying she had all these eyes on her, and it was uncomfortable. if she was "uncomfortable" in rehab, lord only knows what makes her think prison would be any better. what an idiot.

Roberta

You have no idea what shes been through and wheather you want to admit it or not everyones done something stupid that they have regret.

Sandy

The amount of anger Amber has maks me think that mabe when her little baby sisters passed she my of Ben more involved in her passing. Amber was just a little kid when the baby passed. If There is a big dark secret it would explain why Amber has so much rage. No fault of Ambers she would of been a kid just trying to keep peace. Amber I know you can get past this time in your life. Talk to God and lay it all down. Get to know Him he loves you.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5