Robin Roberts

I Was Diagnosed with MDS

... but I'm Gonna Beat It!

6/11/2012 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

061112_robin_roberts_gma_launch"Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts has announced she was just diagnosed with a serious blood and bone marrow disease ... but says she's determined to beat it.

51-year-old Roberts just released a statement saying, "Today, I want to let you know that I’ve been diagnosed with MDS or myelodysplastic syndrome.  It's a disease of the blood and bone marrow and was once known as preleukemia."

She explains, "As many of you know, 5 years ago I beat breast cancer.  I’ve always been a fighter, and with all of your prayers and support, a winner. Sometimes the treatment for cancer can cause other serious medical problems."

"My doctors tell me I'm going to beat this -- and I know it's true."

Roberts says she will begin pre-treatment starting today -- chemotherapy in advance of a bone marrow transplant later this year.

Roberts adds, "Bottom line: I’ve been living with this diagnosis for awhile and will continue to anchor GMA.  I love what I do and the people with whom I do it.  Along with my faith, family and friends, all of you at ABC News give me the motivation and energy to face this challenge."

Saints fan

Her sister, Sally Ann Roberts, a news anchor on WWL-TV in New Orleans is going to donate bone marrow to Robin. God Bless both of them. I'm praying for you both.

IceGypsy

There are a lot of new, better treatments out there for it now. I wish her the best.

CriticXtreme

I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. Your presence has made a difference for this show.

YouDontSay

Kick its' ass Robin. xoxox

whatever

She's a racist, liberal dyke. Hope she croaks.

Allyson

God Bless you Robin, you will be in my prayers....and I believe you will beat this!!!

anne petrovic

i watch the GMA family every morning. i am so sorry to hear about Robin's illness. You are such an inspiration for everyone and i believe that you will beat this. I truly admire how strong and courageous you are. My prayers are with you!!!

JB

Robin, my prayers are with you. You are a strong person and you will beat this! Just turn it over to God.

Miss Moshpit

Get well Robin! We love you!!

Kitty Angel

I love this woman!!! Her fight with breast cancer was a learning experience for many and I hope and pray her results with this new challenge turn out as well. Good Luck Robin!!!!

Carrie

I'm not sure how I would react to such news - she truly embodies how I hope I would react. God bless her and cheers to a speedy recovery!

irene

Robin I wish you good luck with your hurdle. You are a champion, and I know you will beat this. I love watching you and your team on Good Morning America. You start my day with a smile! May God bless you.

Elizabeth Baker

Robin: You are in my thoughts & Prayers...you beat Breast Cancer and you are going to beat this..You are an amazing person and God will be with you thru this..Keep your beautiful smile and be positive..there are so many people who will be there beside you in their thoughts & prayers..God Bless You..

palermo