Robin Roberts

I Was Diagnosed with MDS

... but I'm Gonna Beat It!

6/11/2012 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

061112_robin_roberts_gma_launch"Good Morning America" anchor Robin Roberts has announced she was just diagnosed with a serious blood and bone marrow disease ... but says she's determined to beat it.

51-year-old Roberts just released a statement saying, "Today, I want to let you know that I’ve been diagnosed with MDS or myelodysplastic syndrome.  It's a disease of the blood and bone marrow and was once known as preleukemia."

She explains, "As many of you know, 5 years ago I beat breast cancer.  I’ve always been a fighter, and with all of your prayers and support, a winner. Sometimes the treatment for cancer can cause other serious medical problems."

"My doctors tell me I'm going to beat this -- and I know it's true."

Roberts says she will begin pre-treatment starting today -- chemotherapy in advance of a bone marrow transplant later this year.

Roberts adds, "Bottom line: I’ve been living with this diagnosis for awhile and will continue to anchor GMA.  I love what I do and the people with whom I do it.  Along with my faith, family and friends, all of you at ABC News give me the motivation and energy to face this challenge."

CloBird

Sad news. May strength, perseverance, determination help her through this new trial.

CloBird

Robin Roberts has a tough fight ahead of her because there is no cure for this disease.

Myelodysplastic syndromes are a group of disorders caused by poorly formed or dysfunctional blood cells. Myelodysplastic syndromes occur when something goes wrong in your bone marrow — the spongy material inside your bones where blood cells are made.

There is no cure for myelodysplastic syndromes. Treatment for myelodysplastic syndromes usually focuses on reducing or preventing complications of the disease and its treatments. In certain cases, myelodysplastic syndromes are treated with a bone marrow transplant, which may help prolong life.

CloBird

Myelodysplastic syndromes caused by chemicals and radiation. Myelodysplastic syndromes that occur in response to cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation, or in response to chemical exposure are called secondary myelodysplastic syndromes. Secondary myelodysplastic syndromes are often more difficult to treat.

Roberts underwent treatment for breast cancer; a side effect of cancer treatment is sometimes...cancer, or cancer-like syndromes.

Red Lily

Love her! Robin embodies grace, intelligence, strength and beauty. I know she is going to kick this disease in the ass, just like she did with breast cancer. Please everyone sent her positive thoughts and healing prayers.

FNR

Wow! Well like always some people who comment here have to be disrespectful and make their comments not about the post. I just want to say best of luck to Robin she is good at what she does and like anyone in her position I wish her a fast recovery!

jc

I know your not suppose to wish bad things on people but, I wish it was Lindsay Lohan that has to go thru such a awful disease not the sweet Robin....I just love watching her!

News Flash

Aww Robin is so blessed and highly favored. This is going to be a long road but very successful. My prayers and thoughts are with her. I'm crying a river right now :(

Toni

Very sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. You are a strong,beautiful and spiritual woman who will beat this. As a nurse, I know what is ahead of you. It won't be easy with bad days, but followed by GOOD days. Stay strong and focused on healing. We say prayers in your honor Robin.

aurora

It always irks me when people say "I'm going to beat this." You might, you might not. If someone fails to "beat it," does that mean he/she didn't try hard enough, or "battle" hard enough? No. Why not just say "I am pursuing treatment and will be as positive as possible" or better yet, say nothing at all. Maybe say "I hope I have a good outcome." But really, isn't it cheeky to say "I am going to beat this"? (I'm pretty sure Patrick Swayze said that, or maybe I'm misremembering...did Farrah say it? Did Michael Landon? Did Michael Douglas? I don't remember)...It's true that treatments begat (beget?) new illnesses, and the treatment for THIS might create yet another catastrophe. But doctors never elect not to treat, they can't do it; and patients rarely elect not to intervene. I am very sorry for Ms. Roberts--extremely scary stuff, and spirit taxing. I had cancer five years ago too and in her situation I would just punt and give all my money away; but her sister wants her to live, and the doctors want to do what they are trained to do.
Bummer indeed.

Gerda

I admire Robin Roberts and am so sorry about your current illness. I want her to know that I am praying for her.

Bagheera

So... how much time is going to be spent covering her journey and not covering the actual news or the disease?

Not saying she is a bad person, but we didn't need to know about her breast cancer or mds. She is receiving more attention than the weather, the government, or the little kid killed down the block by a rogue bullet.

Nat C

My 3 year old nephew has just undergone chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant for MDS. My thoughts and prayers are with you Robin as they are for my nephew.

Nat
Sydney Australia

myopinion

you are a strong woman you will be fine!!!! May God continue to bless you.

Rick

Dear Robin,
10 years ago I was diagnosed with Lymphoma and was treated with chemo and surgery. 4.5 years ago I was diagnosed with MDS. After a successful stem cell transplant in Detroit, ( a great staff and facility I found after a lot of research) I am doing great. I am quite a bit older than you and retired and the challenges were not insignificant, but I celebrated my 6th birthday in May( you will find out what that means as you go through the process ) and am on the tennis court 3 days a week and golf, weather permitting 2 days a week.. What I am trying to say is that you should do, with the help of family and friends and the fine medical facilities we have in this country, fine. My brother by the way was my 10 for 10 doner.
I'll be thinking good thoughts for you.
Best Regards, Rick

sheila

Best of luck to you Robin and hurry back to the show. You will be missed when you have the transplant.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments