Rodney King

He Was In Good Spirits

Before he Died

6/17/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617_rodney_king_getty_tmzRodney King sounded upbeat and excited about an upcoming celebrity boxing match, this according to a friend who spoke to him just hours before his death.

Damon Feldman -- who worked with King on the boxing circuit and has known him for several years -- tells TMZ he spoke to King at 4:00 PM and they discussed his future in boxing.

Feldman says Rodney was excited about his next boxing match -- a fight with Jose Canseco -- that was to take place in August. A press conference had been scheduled for June 29 to announce the battle.

Feldman tells TMZ that Rodney was thrilled to be working again and looking forward to getting back in the ring.

King died early this morning at his home in Rialto, CA. He was 47.

0617_rodney_king_getty_remembering_AP

KISS

I love reading these comments - just enough proof to show that white America is still in fact racist. Not speaking of all but majority... YES! Ignorance.

Throwback kid

I know Rodney was a tortured soul and had drug and alcohol problems but there was no excuse for what the LAPD did to him, they beat him like an animal and I heard Rodney say in an interview that one of them called him the N word while they were doing it. No wonder no one trusts the LAPD. Those cops should have spent some time in a jail cell. RIP Mr King

Ajalyn

This isn't adding up. If the girlfriend saw him naked at 5 am banging on the glass that means he can't get in. Why didn't she open the door for him instead of going to get the phone? Was someone after him? This makes no sense.

Ashlyn

How sad :( My condolences to his family and friends. R.i.p

Jdawg

I do feel bad for his family !

KISS

By the way, I'm white and humiliated by this racism. When someone dies, bringing up their misfortune does not justify the fact that they're dead. White people need to stop carrying the strife of their fathers and stop being narcissistic of their race. We're all still human.

Joybubble55

I'm surprised he lasted so long...... I wonder if this will be called. Racist.... After all we would hate to put Al Sharp out of a job..... U can bet Rodney was drunk.... Au I am sure he will come out sounding like a saint thought his whole life....

Throwback kid

This is the third one of Dr Drews celebrity rehab patients to die. They should change the show to Dr Drew's Death Diary, the catch phrase could be watch your favorite D list celeb not get get treatment, then die! These people should go to a real Dr for help, Dr Drew is like a Kardashian with a medical degree, he wants attention and camera time 24/7

KISS

"Can We All Just Get Along?" - Rodney King

LadyN

I feel bad about this. Sometimes I think going on Dr. Drew's shows is a curse! You either die, go to jail, or are far worse off than when you started.

Sexxybody2

WOW !! SAD TO HEAR OF THIS NEWS ON FATHER'S DAY !!! R.I.P. RODNEY KING....

Susan

We should have picked our own cotton...

me

He was always part of the problem never part of the solution. Well I guess no more.

Steph

How sad! He had a rough life, and seemed like a nice guy. The story seems fishy though. Did she not let him in when she heard him screaming? What was he yelling for? Why did she need to get her phone? And why didn't she jump in the pool and get his head out of the water?

Bubba

The cops should used a pool

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments