Rodney King

Drinking, Smoking Weed

Before Drowning

6/17/2012 10:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617_getty_rodney_kingRodney King's fiancée is telling friends Rodney had been drinking all day Saturday ... and had smoked weed in the hours leading up to his death ... sources close to King tell TMZ.

According to our sources, King's fiancée, Cynthia Kelley, is telling friends King was at the house all day drinking, and he smoked marijuana at some point, before she went to bed at 2:00 AM.

We're told Kelley says she next saw King at around 5:00 AM when she was awoken by him screaming in the backyard. Our sources say Kelley found King naked, banging on the glass, and she called out to him, "What's wrong, Rodney?"

Kelley is telling friends she then went to grab her phone when she heard a big splash. She then went to the backyard and discovered him in the bottom of the pool and called police.

Paramedics attempted to revive King, but were unsuccessful.

dam

RIP - POS

Ali

Another one bites the dust. He contributed nothing in life. Only took and caused strife and sorrow. I'm glad the LAPD officers who arrested him are alive and well. Props to them for keeping us all safe from losers like this piece of work.

Tati

Uh if he was banging on the glass why didnt she run outside with her phone, why did she grab her phone without running to his aide? ;/

Christine

Not for nothing but, I'd say Alcohol was the factor here, not the weed. Guy always had an issue with ole John Barleycorn. . . .

Seldombinlaid

Rest in Peace Rodney. You seemed to be enjoying life in your own way there in the end. May God be with your loved ones you've left behind to grieve.

Dave

ROFL.....this just gets more hilarious as I think about it.

Maybe the dialog went something like this:

"Hep me, hep me Cyn! Dey's some guys out here says dey from da 'bama administration and dey needs another race story! Dey's tryin t'drown me Baby, lemme in!"

"Oh no Rodney, you jus' chimpin out again, where you get dat crack agin?!"

"No sweetie, I swearz, it's deeze guys in suits wit shiney sunglasses, dey gave me a shot, I'm gettin tired, puhleaze lemme in! Why you lock da door AGIN anywayz?!"

"Oh no, I ain't fallin for dat again, I'm gettin ma phone and I'm callin somebody dis time!"

(Splash, gurgle gurgle.....)

"Allo? Yeah, it's Cynthia agin, Rodney's on da crack agin and jus fell inda pool. Can ya'll sen somebody? No, not t'beat him, jus t'git him outta da pool, I have girlfrens comin over da safternoon and he gonna make a mess out there agin!"

Diane

Who cares.

Ih8Taxes

Yup, real American hero that deserves our sympathy...too bad our soldiers (WHITE, LATINO and BLACK) that die in Afghanistan don't get a headline on TMZ.

DirtySouth

Wasn't he stopped for suspicion of DUI, which led to the infamous beating? So, he was able to do to himself what the LAPD and justice system couldn't do. Oh well. RIP. Investigation needs to be done, though. Sounds fishy.

snapdabble

"We're told Kelley says she next saw King at around 5:00 AM when she was awoken by him screaming in the backyard. Our sources say Kelley found King naked, banging on the glass"

BATH SALTS?

Al

Who cares if this man smoked a joint and had a couple beers, I hope he can rest in peace, You people dont know ****, I see ya's saying oh I bet he was high and drunk, None of that **** has been confirmed, it's what his retard girlfriend says, and either way like I said before WHO fkin CARES , something doesn't sound right to me anyway, I know people that smoke joints and drink all the time then take a swim and they dont drown, something aint adding up here

Shawn

That story does not make sense. If it doesn't make sense it ain't true.

Roxy

He had the presence of mind to bang on the window for help, how did he get outside. It does sound suspicious, and why didnt go to see what was wrong with him. If you are high and out of it you dont go around screaming, sound like someone fearing for their life to me.

Euphoria

Sound like people have no remorse like the piece of crap that calls himself Truth. This man probably suffered more than people may think.He had to live with seeing himself being beat like an animal and then people rioting over the outcome of the trial and it was about him.This person Truth is the piece of crap when you die I hope you receive what you deserve.

Dave

Oh this story's comments section is like a window into CHIMP CENTRAL. Racist? nah, REALIST. The hypersensitivity to anything negative about an african american person is absolutely LUDICROUS and no I'm not talking about a rapper.

Somehow the MOST flawed in our society are becoming ROLE MODELS for at-risk groups. At risk being defined as uneducated, race bait instructed WELFARE recipients taking over by sheer numbers and RAPING and PILLAGING the rest of society. Gotta stop somewhere, they're not going to drown themselves at a high enough rate to save things.