Meredith Vieira REJECTS NBC Offer

to Replace Ann Curry

6/21/2012 10:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0621_ann_curry_vieira_savannah
NBC secretly offered Meredith Vieira a big contract to replace Ann Curry on the "Today" show ... but she turned them down.

Sources connected with the network tell TMZ ... the offer was made approximately two weeks ago but Meredith wasn't interested in returning to the show she anchored for 6 years.

TMZ broke the story back in April ... Ann Curry was on her way out, partly because NBC was unhappy with her performance, partly because the ratings started to suck, and partly because Matt Lauer didn't like working with her.

As we reported, when Matt re-signed with "Today," he made it clear he wanted a new co-anchor, but NBC delayed making an immediate change because the network didn't want to make it look like a big foot on Matt's part.

From what we're hearing, Ann could be 86'd within a matter of weeks.

As for who will replace Ann, network sources say the frontrunner is Savannah Guthrie, who co-hosts the third hour of "Today."

Melissa

I absolutely Love Ann Curry on both the Today show, and Dateline. I say dump Matt.

Steve

This is not a surprise. Some people need to step back and consider their strengths and weaknesses. Ann's problem is she tries too hard and, like Biglife said below, she is rude and interrupts. She wants so bad to be a hard news reporter. But when she doesn't get an answer she wants she pounces on the person she is questioning. She is better suited to read the news.

lhcg33

Ann Curry stinks! She asks a question then answers it, wth?

Pynelopi

WHY DON'T THEY JUST GET KATIE BACK? MY SOFT MORNING BRAIN WAS SO USED TO THEM AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE IDIOT NETWORKS HAD TO GO AND MESS UP HOW WE PROCESS OUR INFORMATION AT THE START OF THE DAY. THE NETWORKS HAVE TOO MUCH POWER TO INFLUENCE A PUBLIC THAT TRUST THEM TO GIVE INFORMATION TO MOVE THEIR LIVES FORWARD

Boo

Old format, old hosts. They have all been there for years. Viera did well because she was new. Although she was the most likable one, I don't blame her for not going back. Savannah is a well known home wrecker who was rumored to be hooking up with Matt. I really hope they don't pick her. The show ill just feel gross with those two oogling each other all the time.

Gigohead

Please Meredith come back!!!

sotiredofthis

Matt Lauer is a dick, plain and simple. An egotistical (for what reason is SO not clear) ass, who can't take the fact that Ann is a better journalist than he is. She is HUMAN as well, which I doubt if Lauer looks in the mirror he even sees a reflection - no soul. NBC, seriously? He's THAT influential that you'd can Ann? Could it be that we have a case of nothing being WRONG with NBC per se, just that ABC is simply better right now? J.C. why do you have to fire someone for that reason. If so, offer Robin Roberts 150 MIL and see what happens. Who's the true A.H.? I hope someone picks up Ann and gives her what she deserves - not to have to be in the presence of a ******** day to day.

Brisa

It is a shame that this is going on. But the truth is I have been watching GMA because I lost interest in the TODAY show since Ann Curry took over.

scoopie

Too bad; I stopped watching when Meredith left.

Lekili

NBC should dump Matt Lauer and keep Ann Curry. Matt has let his ego get in the way of his journalistic reporting, he's basically an ass. Ann has more charm in her pinky than Matt does in his entire body.

pj

Has NBC considered we've stopped watching after Matt's over-the-top contract was settled.

llprincess

I'm sorry to see Meredith leave last year. I also like Ann Curry and I think that she is doing a great job. I always thought that Matt Lauer is boring and doesn't have a personality. I think that it was down right sneaky and disturbing that the people at the TODAY SHOW will go a round about way to try to get Meredith back on the show when she clearly made it known that she didn't want to come back. I know that Ann must feel horrible, even to know that you are sitting right next to someone who obviously wants you off the show. WHERE IS THE LOVE AND THE COMPASSION...PEOPLE!!!

Andy Bo

Who is in charge at NBC, Matt Lauer or the ones who get paid to make a decision?

sue

LESTER HOLT and CAMPBELL BROWN should be the hosts for the M-F shows. Ann continues to show class and needs to keep her head high and EXIT ASAP as soon as her attorney gets her the best deal that can be gotten for her. I don't know how she can continue to sit by that prick every morning. He works 10 hours a week and they pay him WHAT amount of $ $ $ ???
He messed up the evening news when he filled in for Lester Holt a few weeks ago. He needs to get his head out of his ass...Matt you are NOT all that !!!! and he is sleeping with Natalie M. ???
What?? That goes on everywhere...Matt's gotta
go....your ratings will really drop now...

realitychecker

Matt = pompous ass. Full of himself and not interesting to listen to at all. I will continue to watch GMA - at least they appear to have a good time together and are somewhat informative with genuine sincerity.