David Letterman

Rips Justin Bieber

for Ignorant Remark

6/22/2012 7:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

062212_letterman_bieber_v2_launch
Justin Bieber is 18 years old ... and believes Michelangelo painted the "Sixteenth Chapel" ... and last night, David Letterman ripped him for it.

Bieber was showing off his new arm tattoo on the "Late Show" ... when Dave, acting like a cranky disapproving old man, reached over and grabbed the fresh ink, causing Justin to scream out in pain.

While Justin forced a smile, Dave continued to give the Canadian singer a hard time ... and then advised Bieber, "Don't go nuts [with the tattoos] ... because more and more you see like the mural ... like the Sistine Chapel, it's too much."

Bieber replied, "I'm not going for the Sixteenth Chapel."

Letterman laughed ... and quipped, "Canadian high school."

While there's really no excuse for not knowing about one of the most famous places on the face of the Earth, Justin was under attack from the moment he stepped foot on the stage.

So, we gotta ask ...

Julie

I can't stand Justin Bieber, but my problem with him has nothing to do with his tattoos. I think Letterman went overboard, and certainly shouldn't have grabbed him or tried to hurt him, or his tattoo--that's just plain mean and uncalled for. We can all agree Bieber is a douchebag, but he's 18--show me an 18 year old who isn't one from time to time.

Carrel

So I apologize for not knowing the spelling either. In my defense, it's "Chapelle Sixtine" in French so I always assumed it'd somehow be the same in English.

But thumbs up, Letterman. I don't like you, but that line right there was hilarous. And hey, a Canadian singer, wannabe rapper, with a tattoo? I mean. Even to my 11 y.o nephew, it sounds retarded.

PS: But I love that half of the people on here reading this article probably never heard about Michelangelo but will be the first ones bitching. Priceless.

Michelle Nash

It may be ignorance on Bieber's part but why the "canadian" remark? Justin's stupidity is probably because he didn't get an education and he was thrown into his temporary stardom. It's unfortunate that in 10 years, nobody will even know who Justin Bieber is.

viewer101

under attack? are you all new to the letterman show?
give me a break, if you bothered to watch the whole show you'd have seen them continue joking around before his "performance".

it's called an act, as old as the day is long,
and obviously still working well for letterman, given tmz's response & poll.

davyboii

who's justin bieber?

terry

Sistine Chapel, of course Michaelangelo etc is taught in Cdn high schools. Justin has been doing 'distance' education so he misses a lot of class talk. Just get a load of Leno's Jaywalking where adults in university don't know their own presidents, US neighbouring countries etc..

Kroe84

Everyone always complains about talk shows being too bland and too safe, now one thing happens - Letterman criticizes Bieber's tattoo and that was going too far?.....I must be out of touch with what is controversial these days. If it is out of line for someone to comment on your tattoo, don’t be a celebrity and go on talk shows and talk about it. I have terrible tattoos and no one mentions it because I am not a celeb on a talk show. if I was, and people criticized it I would be glad that this is the best criticism they had on me. As far as the whole Sistine / Sixteenth thing, who cares?...Please don’t let this be news.

Kroe84

kade madison

That is Dave's job and the show. If you can't handle it, you don't go. And if Dave does not want someone on the show, believe me, he does have a final say.

JPMindspring

Being 18 years old (and a performer in the arts) does not excuse you from not knowing one of the greatest human artistic feats of all time. If you can read a book or a magazine you should know about the Sistine Chapel. If Bieber wants to be recognized as an artist and not as just an entertainer he should know the history of true art and a true artistic genius.

remblini

You're all really stupid talking about "kid probably never graduated high school" when he did in fact graduate high school about a month ago. As for not knowing about the Sistine Chapel, keep in mind that he probably had more pressing matters on his mind than the chapel at the point, and that he is, 18.

JILL

I am sick and tired of you Americans putting down Canadians. What makes you think you are all smarter and more educated than we are. If you think about it there are a lot of smart and talented people in the US that have come from Canada. Give it a rest we don't all live in the back woods.

JILL

Karmageddon

Dave does this will ALL younger guests. If they can't deal, they shouldn't go on the show.

Deskboy

The headline threw me, as Dave is the King of late night ignorant remarks.