David Letterman

Rips Justin Bieber

for Ignorant Remark

6/22/2012 7:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

062212_letterman_bieber_v2_launch
Justin Bieber is 18 years old ... and believes Michelangelo painted the "Sixteenth Chapel" ... and last night, David Letterman ripped him for it.

Bieber was showing off his new arm tattoo on the "Late Show" ... when Dave, acting like a cranky disapproving old man, reached over and grabbed the fresh ink, causing Justin to scream out in pain.

While Justin forced a smile, Dave continued to give the Canadian singer a hard time ... and then advised Bieber, "Don't go nuts [with the tattoos] ... because more and more you see like the mural ... like the Sistine Chapel, it's too much."

Bieber replied, "I'm not going for the Sixteenth Chapel."

Letterman laughed ... and quipped, "Canadian high school."

While there's really no excuse for not knowing about one of the most famous places on the face of the Earth, Justin was under attack from the moment he stepped foot on the stage.

So, we gotta ask ...

courtney

I can't stand either of them- but honestly I have a Masters degree and don't see why people would think he is stupid to not know this...unless of course he is a practicing Catholic. I never learned much of the Pope, Vatican City or the Chapel in school besides for it being associated with renaissance artists and what not but really most kids find that boring and really don't care. There really is enough to pick on him for- but why be a bully and pretend like a lot of youth in this Country could have made that same mistake?

supermom

Just watched it on You Tube-wasn't that bad-kind of wondered if the "tattoo grab" was a jk/staged? Dave vknew Bieber was upset at the Canadian School comment and fist bumped him at the end.

sandradee

I can't believe anyone even fell for this. I'm no fan of JB, but it was so CLEAR that he was kidding when he said "sixteenth". He even emphasized the word, and got laughs from the audience, whom I believe knew he was joking.

sean

the way Dave touched him, I thought, Sandusky.

fodi

Not a Bieber fan but Letterman acted like a jerk. May not help ratings to insult every Canadian who attended high school.Also, can't remember the last time an American pop star took fan with rare, terminal illness on tour.THAT'S CANADIAN!!!

h1160a

Dave Letterman was bullying the kid. Letterman mentioned more than once that Bieber should vote in US election. A dumb comment on Dave's part because Bieber is a Canadian. Letterman droned on about him voting and asked him who he preferred. Letterman was down on his game. Sounded like an old fool. Bieber to his credit humored the old fart.

rich

"no excuse for not knowing"?? Sure one excuse is who cares? Hey I've been there, live, in person. Just because something's commonly famous doesn't mean everyone has to know about it. Sixteenth Chapel is age old common mistake since I was a kid even.

Flip side, the CN Tower is/was famous, do any American's know what the C and N stand for? Some Canadian's don't even know. Get over words.

Megan

im not a bieber fan or whatevs... buuttttt. letterman went to far.

Michelle

That was unkind. Dave could have corrected him - not embarrassed him.

Sarah

I'm all for Letterman (or anyone else, for that matter) giving Justin Beiber a hard time- but there's nothing wrong with Canadian high schools!

Sarah

Now, I am all for Letterman (or anyone else, for that matter) teasing Justin Beiber, but there's nothing wrong with Canadian high schools!

Rebecca

Give the kid a break. I can't tell you how many times I've heard well educated adults say sixteenth chapel. And I'm sorry, Dave was being a dick. You don't grab someone's brand new tattoo...
(No, I'm not a Belieber, I just don't like seeing a KID getting made fun of for a simple mistake. Especially not on national tv by a man who's old enough to know better.)

ferngully69@

SIXTEENTH chapel lol!!!! oh my god. what a dumb sh*t. hope he's saving some of that money. letterman is still on it. sharp as a tack. love him. he hates dumb people.

Ann Cotnam

David made a fool of himself. He could have talked about Justin's Charities, and his appearance on Forbes as the most 18 year old in the world, but he chose to insult him. This made Dave a fool for insulting a successful boy. Would he like someone to treat his boy like that? Everyone knows that the Canadian public school system is superior to the American one. I challenge him to ask the same question to 18 yr. old American kids from the public school system. I am very disappointed in Dave's behavior.

NotKnot

Yeah that home schooling is really paying off.
Looking at another Ice, Ice Stupid Baby.
Thanks Dave for putting this dingbat i his place.