David Letterman

Rips Justin Bieber

for Ignorant Remark

6/22/2012 7:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

062212_letterman_bieber_v2_launch
Justin Bieber is 18 years old ... and believes Michelangelo painted the "Sixteenth Chapel" ... and last night, David Letterman ripped him for it.

Bieber was showing off his new arm tattoo on the "Late Show" ... when Dave, acting like a cranky disapproving old man, reached over and grabbed the fresh ink, causing Justin to scream out in pain.

While Justin forced a smile, Dave continued to give the Canadian singer a hard time ... and then advised Bieber, "Don't go nuts [with the tattoos] ... because more and more you see like the mural ... like the Sistine Chapel, it's too much."

Bieber replied, "I'm not going for the Sixteenth Chapel."

Letterman laughed ... and quipped, "Canadian high school."

While there's really no excuse for not knowing about one of the most famous places on the face of the Earth, Justin was under attack from the moment he stepped foot on the stage.

So, we gotta ask ...

Mel

He didn't go to "Canadian High School" he was tutored by Americans while touring.

American's are ignorant hipocrites who know nothing about Canadians, but expect we should be educated on everything American!

Mel

johnnymorales

Odd, it sounds like Justin was the one making a joke, making fun of the word Sistine knowingly. In any case American HS rank lower than Canada in Reading and math. A full year behind in Math and 6 months behind in Reading

Only someone who went to one of our American HS would think that making fun of the quality of Canadian schools actually is justified by reality.

Being such a rich nation, it is we who are the international joke when it comes to education.

Terangelo

Bieber needs an education, and so do you. It is "SET foot on the stage," not "STEPPED foot on the stage." Look it up.

Nicole C.

There's never a reason to batter someone even for ignorance.

C.G

The Sistine Chapel is something Canadian's are taught in high school history. So it's not "Canadian high school", it's just that Justin Bieber is a stupid kid who, while in school, obviously didn't pay any attention while he was there. Damn, I went to school in Canada and knew what the Sistine Chapel was when I was 8!
The more I hear about Bieber, the more I come to the conclusion that he is a complete moron! This is what our youth have to look up to! A kid without a brain in his head! The lights are on but no one's home, if ya know what I mean... Good thing he got a record deal to support himself, otherwise he'd be seen working at a fast food restaurant!
On a more positive note, I loved seeing Dave rough him up a little bit. That little boy is 18 years old and has to stop acting like a little girl and be a man! Should have gave him an Indian burn right on that tattoo! LOL In every interview I see of Bieber, if he hears something he doesn't like, he starts acting like a sulking little kid! My 2 year old doesn't sulk nearly as much as he does! Grow some balls Bieber, and stop acting like a sissy girl!

Cindy

Eh! I am Canadian! Take it easy everyone....this is scripted comedy! J-Beebs can take it....RELAX!

CanadianLeanne

You see Justin Bieber is Canada's evil revenge for the states unleashing Miley Cyrus on us... Muahahahaha

Methos64

Not impressed with his comment about Canadian High Schools, I'm sure there are some American teens walking around that are the same as Beiber. Our educational system is no different than the American High schools, just maybe a few less shootings and guns. How would he like Beiber coming back with a comment like that? I am not a fan of This kid, and I groaned along with everyone else when I heard '16th Chapel', but I'm sure every country has their share of ignorant teens. Thank for allowing this Canuck my view..

A1A

Letterman, for reasons I don't think anyone can truly explain, has become in his old age, a mean and rather disgusting man. Back in the early 1970's in Indianapolis he paraded himself around like he was king of Indianapolis when in fact most people did not know him. Meeting Letterman back then was a humiliating experience as he looked down his nose at everyone he met. I suspect he has only grown more intolerant of "the mortals" since then. The real Dave Letterman is quite nasty.

maranda

Heh , just another Jessica Simpson moment ! What a dumb f*** I wish this kid would go away !!!

charlotte

and all the haters i swear there so small from up here
- Justin Bieber

He doesnt care about all the mean things u guys say so u can stop wasting you time.

buns

I'm not sure Id be that hard on Justin and I"m a former teacher. those of us over age 40 remember seeing a movie that used to play on TV a lot, "The Agony & the Ecstasy," featuring Charlton Heston playing artist Michelangelo, and the movie is mostly about the artist painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. They no longer show that movie on TV and a lot of young people don't pay attention when the Renaissance is taught in World History. I'm sure a lot of kids Justin's age don't know about the Sistine Chapel or remember it from history class. I hate Justin Beiber but Letterman was being mean.

Daryl Zer0

How many 18 year olds KNOW what the sistine chapel is? I bet most don't and maybe shouldn't.

Mee

Ognorant remark, ignorant act Mr Letterman with the Ladies a few years ago, then all is forgiven or forgotten,
Seriously ! he is still growing and learning.