Rodney King's Buds

He Was a Professional

Weed Smoker

6/22/2012 4:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0622_rodney_king_blurred
Rodney King was an expert pot smoker ... and there's no way marijuana could have caused him to go off the hinges and act like a maniac on the night he died ... so say King's smoking buddies, who run his local weed dispensary.

Ever since investigators were pictured removing a cannabis plant from King's home this week, there have been suspicions that weed may have contributed to his death ... or at least caused Rodney to exhibit some bizarre behavior on the night he died ... including loud crying spells and banging on the windows of his home.

TMZ spoke with the people who run Arrow Alternative Remedies in San Bernardino, CA ... who tell us Rodney was a regular ... and even served as a celebrity "bud tender" during special events.

The pot people tell us ... "We used to smoke tons of weed with Rodney and not once was he too belligerent to function."

One pot pro also notes, "I never saw him come into the shop on alcohol or hard drugs."

"Honestly, he was a great guy and was starting to get back on track with his new book."

As TMZ first reported, Rodney died on Sunday ... but his legacy will live on in the pot shop -- where his old pals have already named a strain of weed after the guy ... "Rodney King OG."

Rodney King OG weed

mojo

Don't you dare start saying cannabis killed him. That is the absolute without a doubt dumbest stupidest most ignorant uninformed thing I have ever heard. RIP Mr. King

mojo

Wow, after reading these comments I have to say that you readers are the absolute without a doubt dumbest stupidest most ignorant uninformed things I have ever heard. Your comments are fueled by ignorance and fear. Hey! Its 620 but its 420 somewhere. Time for my meds

sammi

Fact most who part take in tobacco don't feel the need to drink. Pending his toxicology will show one he had a heart attack or two he drank way to much that night into the morning. Was on a benge. Or he could have hit his head on the edge of the pool. Sad though and I wish his family well. I wont forget him.

Kari

Sadly, the sign should rather read "Rodney King, O.D."

anna

WOW. I cant believe TMZ is part of the Main Stream Media that spreads rhetoric. Weed doesnt kill and it did not kill him. If anything you should focus all your energy on the fact that he was drinking and alcohol is awful and CAN actually kill u. Stupid.

diane

I was glad to hear he was crying before he drowned.

scoopie

I never met a "belligerent" pot smoker. They're all the opposite; too mellow to function.

Nadiadamit

alcohol is a depressant and more debilitating than marijuana any day. u will never see someone who has smoked crawling on the floor unable to walk unless they are highly allergic. i grew up in cali~ walk through santa cruz(sorry for the stereotype S.C.) lolol people aren't crawling on the ground unless they are drunk. if anything should be illegal, its alcohol. the 911 sounded "horrific" it crushed me. screaming + splash, sounds like foul play. is the screaming fear of someone and pounding for help or is it depression kicking in and an accidental slip. were there injuries or signs of a slip?how do u just end up at the bottom? i need to be here more to know most of the answers. With Rodney King, in my opinion, no matter how it happened, he deserved a happier ending and one where he could be treated with the respect and dignity he deserves as well~ not all this speculation overshadowing.

Calinative

There's nothing wrong with a little weed. Rodney looks nice and healthy iin the pic. It's a shame he has died R.I.P

Jackazz flatts

CC

Rodney, so happy you are gone. Hope you're enjoying the bowels of hell.

messygirl

That's a brilliant move trying to clear someone's reputation -- "He smoked tons of weed, so that couldn't have been the problem."

who919

CHRONIC B4 THE TONIC, I'LL BET IT WAS THE ALCHOL AND NOT THE WEED, PROFESSIONAL WEED SMOKER NOW THAT ISH IS FUNNY, WHERE I COME FROM IT IS CALLED A POT HEAD AND I'M NOT JUST A MEMBER I'M THE PRESIDENT.

Anna Misztal

I cant even believe you guys posted a stupid article like this, that will only spread rhetoric. Weed does not kill and he was not killed by weed is ANYTHING you should focus your energy on the alcohol he drank that is awfully bad for you yet LEGAL. God sometimes you guys post the stupidest articles.

CN