Animal Org. to Cee Lo

Don't Whip Out Your

Cockatoo on 'The Voice'

6/24/2012 8:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625-cee-lo-3Cee Lo is taking some serious heat over plans to rock out with his cockatoo out on the upcoming season of "The Voice" ... over concerns that stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.

The controversy stems from Cee Lo's recent announcement that he'll be replacing the pet cat who accompanied him during Season 1 with a Moluccan cockatoo named Lady.

But the move is causing some concern among bird activists -- because Moluccan cockatoos are endangered ... and are known to be extremely TERRIBLE pets.

TMZ spoke with Monica Engrebretson -- a rep for the animal rights org. Born Free USA ... who also happens to be an expert in all things related to the Moluccan cockatoo. She's also a HUGE Cee Lo fan.

Monica tells us ... "Moluccan cockatoos are beautiful, intelligent animals but they are very challenging to care for especially in the long term, and are prone to considerable welfare problems."

She adds, "Many Moluccan cockatoos develop self-destructive behavior including feather plucking and self mutilation not known to occur in the wild."

"Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots. I encourage “The Voice” to reconsider featuring a moluccan cockatoo or any bird as a 'pet' on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog. Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home."

She adds, "I want to add that I am a huge fan of Cee-Lo and I am glad that he appears to be an animal lover."

We reached out to Cee-Lo -- so far, no word back.

pennyt

Tell 'em to stick it where the sun don't shine CeeLo!!!

edswoggle

I believe this woman...my kid is addicted to the movie Rio- everything she just said, I can back up from the experience I have gotten from watching that movie 8-10 times a day lol

jokerjim

This is such utter bullchit!! I have several birds, work with a rescue home now and then. I have even offered to take some of those birds in when needed. There is no issue with a crowd if the bird has been raised around other people. Also, bird owners love their pets as much as dog onwers do and are not going to put them in harms way. Birds are highly sociable animals. I have an African Grey. They are supposedly for a one or two person household. I have six kids and tons of their friends over. ANYONE can open her cage and take the bird out. She will not bite, etc.. I raised her from a hatchling and had many people help with the syringe feeding process.
If he cares for the bird like almost all bird owners do, then the bird will be fine. Plain and simple.
Also, as usual, TMZ is as far off the mark as it gets, ****atoos are not notorious bad pets, at all.

Meatatarian

Nobody cares what those whiney dogooders want.

geraldine

It´s pretty sad that famous stars like Cee Lo think it´s ok to bring exotic animals to shows! It´s at the expense of the animals because they suffer! He should have a change of heart if he loves animals!

geraldine

Geraldine

I can´t understand why Cee Lo wants to bring a endangered animal to the show!
Maybe it´s because he thinks he will be more interesting with an exotic pink parrot! It´s pretty sad that stars think exotic animals will make them more interesting! It´s at the expense of the animals because they suffer!

Omnivore

Nobody cares what those whiney dogooders want.

Lester

This is not a true moluccan ****atoo, some kind of specially breed very expensive hybrid. Or the bird has been physically dyed and if so truly cruel for such a beautiful bird species. Our Moluccan Romeo looks nothing like Ceelos hybrid.

John

Whoever wrote this column is an idiot. I have 2 birds they make great pets and if Cee Lo wants to have his pet bird on the show good for him. I hate how people like this want to force their ways on EVERYONE ELSE. You should be illegal. Animal.org is f*cking retarded.

Toaster

"Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots. I encourage “The Voice” to reconsider featuring a moluccan ****atoo or any bird as a 'pet' on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog. Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home."

Yes, because it's not like there aren't millions of homeless dogs - oh, wait. Dogs are one of the most dumped pets out there. They make horrible pets for millions of people, as evidenced by the millions dumped at shelters.

Apparently it's okay to promote dogs to be kept as fad pets even if it causes millions to die when stupid people rush out to buy/adopt, but it's wrong for ****atoos and other exotics.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3