« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Amar'e Stoudemire

Sorry for Homophobic Slur

6/26/2012 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0626_amare_01
Knicks star Amar'e Stoudemire is owning up to a homophobic message he sent to a fan on Twitter this weekend -- and now wants to publicly apologize, telling TMZ, "I should have known better and there is no excuse."

Amar'e adds, "I am a huge supporter of civil rights for all people. I am disappointed in myself for my statement to a fan."

The NBA just announced ... Amar'e has been fined $50,000 over the incident -- for what the league called "offensive and derogatory language."

Amar'e sent the message Saturday in response to a bitter fan, who criticized Amar'e for the Knicks' poor finish last season. The fan wrote, "@Amareisreal you better come back a lot stronger and quicker to make up for this past season mannnnnn deadasss!!!"

Amar'e responded in a direct message, saying, "F**k you. I don't have to do anything f*g."

Amar'e apologized to the fan directly soon after, writing, "I apologize for what I said earlier. I just got off the plane and had time to think about it. Sorry bro!! No excuses. Won’t happen again.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

superchicken

It's not like he called him a chocolate starfish trooper or anything.

tgrfan42069

"I should have known better and there is no excuse."

this makes me said..should have known better?? sad when people apologize for using free speech in this country.

tru.dat.girl

Do gay people get fined when they say derogatory things? Nope. Soooo WTF? Everyone is all of a sudden pro-gay, anti-everything else; because if you aren't pro-gay you get fined or your career is suddenly in jeopardy....We need to reduce the amount of gay people in positions of power, this **** is gettin' out of hand!

northern gypsy

a very expensive lesson indeed !!! have to agree with other people it's not sincere...perhaps a few more fines and it may smarten him up...

Kimo

grow up!

MasktRacer

What Amar'e said what dumb, but a $50,000 fine is ridiculous. Just give the guy season tickets and he'll be happy for the rest of his life. The NBA needs to get a sense of proportion in handing out fines.

Shag

Might be self-hatred. A sports doctor once told me that up to 40% of male athletes are gay or bi.

Im Hungry

he did nothing wrong. Freedom of Speech

dan

check out what louis ck says about using this word i agree with him on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

rsmik

I thought the reporters were saying Mel Stottlemyre

dan

this is how the best comic in the world louis ck feels about that word http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IFloXOuLgA

daisy

Not to stir the pot, but the only friends I have who would ever use that word....are gay.
I'm just sayin'.....

The Neko Nation

He's only sorry now because of the backlash and the fine. Why is it that African Americans are the most racist and homophobic people in America?

Jizzy

I don't see how "***" is bad if you didn't direct it towards a gay person or in a way that was meant to be against gays. If I call some one a "***" for being and idiot...that's what I meant it to be. Last time I check people cannot READ MY MIND except ME. And if gays don't consider themselves "***s", they why does it always have to mean you hate gays when u use it? What are we in high school? I'm not saying we should use it, but all the other words that are "OK" for people to use or make fun of and this is a big deal? It is to laugh.

Christian

Speaking as a gay man, i find this ridiculous, EVERYONE says things they don't mean at times and especially in the heat of the moment...The other guy started it and insulted him.....50,000 fine is a joke

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments