« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Amar'e Stoudemire

Sorry for Homophobic Slur

6/26/2012 2:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0626_amare_01
Knicks star Amar'e Stoudemire is owning up to a homophobic message he sent to a fan on Twitter this weekend -- and now wants to publicly apologize, telling TMZ, "I should have known better and there is no excuse."

Amar'e adds, "I am a huge supporter of civil rights for all people. I am disappointed in myself for my statement to a fan."

The NBA just announced ... Amar'e has been fined $50,000 over the incident -- for what the league called "offensive and derogatory language."

Amar'e sent the message Saturday in response to a bitter fan, who criticized Amar'e for the Knicks' poor finish last season. The fan wrote, "@Amareisreal you better come back a lot stronger and quicker to make up for this past season mannnnnn deadasss!!!"

Amar'e responded in a direct message, saying, "F**k you. I don't have to do anything f*g."

Amar'e apologized to the fan directly soon after, writing, "I apologize for what I said earlier. I just got off the plane and had time to think about it. Sorry bro!! No excuses. Won’t happen again.”

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JoeFrancis

I miss the Knicks of the 90's and the NBA on NBC theme song. Bunch of divas now.

My Big Salami

That's so gay to fine this guy...Really whats the big deal?

mike hunt

I don't understand these high profile ego "stars" that open public Twitter accounts but can't take the slightest bit of criticism.

lookItsMegRyan

No one can own up to what they say anymore. This guy meant exactly what he said. He thinks gay people are bottom of the barrel. Now we know. Now shut up and suck at basketball.

ohboy

He said F*G, he didn't say he hated homosexuals. You people need to get over your entitlement. I use the word F@G on a regular basis, and WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

seanmac

Ridiculous .... society needs to stop being so GD sensitive about everything that is said...

Rob Zombie is King

...and yet ANOTHER story about the gay agenda lol Anyone seeing a theme here?

Joao

Big, bad, black, man, your ego is too weak to handle a harmless rebuke. Well, welcome to the civilized world, that ghetto name calling bullsh1t can get expensive. BTW, we know that somebody had to write the canned apology for you, because you could have never pulled off three sentences without reverting to u, cuz, 2nite,

JDUB

His apology is not sincere, he's only doing it because he has to - what he said represent his true colors and who he is inside.

jeff

Blacks get caught hating the gays the most. Remember koby bryant? Remember Tracy Morgan? tmz goes out of their way to promote interracial couples(black guy/white girl)and gays. I LOVE THIS STORY! In your face tmz! Agenda backfire, HA HA

Jay

Seriously? isnt this a free country... Say what you want when you want... I think all the gays need to worry about themselves and not what others opinions are... and why do gays get to tell us what to say and force everyone to apologize? Grow a set, and let people speak freely...

SomeGuy32

"free country... Say what you want when you want" sure... without the government stopping you... doesn't mean your employer can't do something about it

GLaDOS

He shouldn't have apologized.. though I'm sure he only did because his handlers told him to.

Mikey

I thought *** was short for homosexual. Whats the problem?

Mikey

"F**k you. I don't have to do anything f*g."

"F**k you. I don't have to do anything man who sticks his penis in another man's anus.

I say stay with the word ***.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments