Ann Curry

Negotiating Exit From NBC

Savannah Guthrie A Lock

6/26/2012 6:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_ann_curry_savannah_01
Ann Curry
and NBC are negotiating her exit from "Today" and the hang-up is money ...  sources connected with the network tell TMZ.

Our sources say Savannah Guthrie has already made her deal with the network to succeed Ann as co-anchor of "Today," but the snag is the amount of money Ann will get.

As we first reported, Ann gets $10 million a year. She is one year into a 3-year contract, and from what we're hearing NBC does not want to pay her $20 million for the balance of the contract.

Sources tell us Ann wants the full $20 mil and her exit papers. NBC wants to pay her $10 mil and give her a foreign correspondent job. And therein lies the hang-up.

The network could pay her the $20 mil and then prohibit her from working anywhere else for 2 years.  But we're told they don't want to shell out that kind of dough, so Ann's lawyer and NBC are haggling.

NBC wants to make the switch quickly ... certainly before the Olympics so they can showcase Savannah. We're hearing the goal is to make the announcement late this week or early next.

stu

WILL IT EVER END NBC!!!!
This reminds me of the Jane Pauley & Deb Norville saga.
I'm going to kill myself!!!

@iAMTIMWILSON

Stick to your guns Ann, "You wanna replace me, then you gon pay me" Cha-Ching!!

RaineeDrops

She deserves the 20 Million PLUS her legal fees she is incurring fighting for what is rightfully hers in a contract with NBC. Pay up NBC, you owe it to her, she was loyal to you and never breached her part of the contract, why does NBC think they can breach theirs and why would they think she'd want to work for their network after treating her this way and humiliating her in the media.

NBC and Mat Lauer SHAME ON YOU!

Truth

THE REASON THEY DONT WANT ANN IS THE RACE ISSUE. SHE'S ASIAN AND THE MASS DEMOGRAPHICS OF VIEWERS AINT ASIAN. SO NBC THINKS BEHIND THE SCENES THAT'S THE REASON THE RATINGS ARE DROPPING. THAT AND MATT LAUER BEING A DOUCHE BAG PUTS BOTH CLAWS TO OUST ANN. THERE IS NO DOUBT AN HAS THE EXPERIENCE BUT SHE AINT AS "WHITE" LITERALLY AS THEY WANT. NOW IF SHE WAS HEAD ANCHOR IN SAY JAPAN, CHINA OR HONG KONG THERE IS NO WAY SHE'S GETTIN WALKIN PAPERS LIKE WHITE AMERICA. STICK TO YOUR GUNS ANN. GET THE PAPER! GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN. JUST DONT RUN INTO MACK TRUCKS LIKE 50... #TRUTH!!

kronenburg

Don't budge on the $20 million, Ann. Get more if you can!

Kari

To "Love My Fans"--thanks for your response. I agree with everything you said.

Cheekychoppie

I think it is ****ty was they are doing to Ann.
I am going to watch ABC now after watching NBC for over 20 years. It really stinks!

Dani

Ann is much better than Matt and Savannah! Fight for what is rightfully yours! Their viewership will be declining when Ann is no longer on the Today show- just watch... I'm already making the switch to Good Morning America and so are alot of other people that I work with and know!

Ev

They are crazy, Anne is so much more talented and prettier than Savannah.

j

I really think it is the format that is messed up. I hope Ann gets every penny cause she doesn't deserve to be blamed for the ratings.

Lovejac23

Screw em Ann! I hope you get your 20mil! Let them go to some foreign country!!!

Me

Getting rid of Ann is a major mistake. She is the most likeable of the female hosts on the show and is more real and respected than the others. Matt is pure boring vanilla and without Ann I'll be going to Good Morning America from now on.

GREG

Don't back down Ann. Who was the idiot at NBC that wants giant woman Savannah as the new sidekick to Matt. She will look like the Incredible Giant next to him. Get your booster seat now Matt or you'll look like a 6 year old sitting next to her.

SDM

Get your money Ann...you are great for the Today show and shame on them for wanting to make you leave...it's not your fault if GMA beats Today show...others on that show suck (i.e. Savannah Guthrie..) who always looks uncomfortable on air...screw the honchos and stick to your guns....and take your 20 mil and spend the time with your kids...you will be snagged up by another TV show in a heartbeat...

jen

screw the network...get your money ann....matts as dic