Ann Curry

Negotiating Exit From NBC

Savannah Guthrie A Lock

6/26/2012 6:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_ann_curry_savannah_01
Ann Curry
and NBC are negotiating her exit from "Today" and the hang-up is money ...  sources connected with the network tell TMZ.

Our sources say Savannah Guthrie has already made her deal with the network to succeed Ann as co-anchor of "Today," but the snag is the amount of money Ann will get.

As we first reported, Ann gets $10 million a year. She is one year into a 3-year contract, and from what we're hearing NBC does not want to pay her $20 million for the balance of the contract.

Sources tell us Ann wants the full $20 mil and her exit papers. NBC wants to pay her $10 mil and give her a foreign correspondent job. And therein lies the hang-up.

The network could pay her the $20 mil and then prohibit her from working anywhere else for 2 years.  But we're told they don't want to shell out that kind of dough, so Ann's lawyer and NBC are haggling.

NBC wants to make the switch quickly ... certainly before the Olympics so they can showcase Savannah. We're hearing the goal is to make the announcement late this week or early next.

pl

disappointing...of Hoda, Natalie or Savannah - Savanna was my 3rd choice by a long shot. For the record, I love the Today Show, Matt & Al.

RaineeDrops

Ann Curry and Al Roker are the only two I do like on that show, and if Ann is no longer going to be on the Today Show, they lost me as a viewer. This peeves me off that they think they can treat her like this. She is one of the ONLY compassionate genuine ladies on the Today Show. A REAL lady!

Chase

After 30 years watching Today Show, I gave up after suffering thru Ann's milquetoast interviews, and I guess I'll stick w/GMA. Savannah is JUST as bad a choice.

STFUP

I'd hang tough for the $20 mil - as her contract specifies!
They're trying to 'ship her overseas' w/ that other bogus deal. I wonder if they're afraid she'll be picked up by a competitor and then beat them in the ratings?

Fat Mike

Matt = Self-important Douche
Ann = Popular
NBC = Stupid

STFUP

Savannah will be an epic failure - and NBC will still be out the $20 Million they have to pay Curry (She won't be dumb enough to accept that 'oveseas correspondents' job).

who farted

I love Ann! Get rid of Matt! He's awful and ugly.

Studley Buck

Couple of hags. Nobody cares.

Byron

Hang in there, Ann, but get your money and move on over to Fox. Your a gentle lady and I've always enjoyed watching your smile. :o)

C

DON'T get rid of ANN CURRY! SHE IS AWESOME IN THAT SPOT. I didn't like Meredith, but love ANN!!! I will stop watching your morning show if you get rid of her!

sue

take the 20 million and stay off work 2 years.
you will not have a problem going to another network.
what a mess........it will all work out tho!!!

a long time Leno fan!

Ann has those once honored qualities that are now long gone from talent - a strong work ethic, a sincere disposition and trustworthiness for days. She's the only person there who looks like she's happy about giving that job her very best. The worse part about the show is Matt and more so now than ever.

Patsy

I think that firing Ann is horrible. She is the best female on the today show and does not talk over her guest as Natalie and Savannah do. Every segment that Natalie and Savannah are in they are constantly interrupting and talking over the people they interview. It is so annoying.

Kelly

Ann should get the full contract amount because that's the contract they signed. I hope she doesn't back down, seeing as she doesn't have to!

Ronna

While I don't care for Ann, Savannah's voice is annoying, and I don't see her in this role. I did not like Meredith Viera either. I don't like all the giddiness in the morning. I like Morning Joe and Chuck Todd on MSNBC.