Ann Curry

Negotiating Exit From NBC

Savannah Guthrie A Lock

6/26/2012 6:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_ann_curry_savannah_01
Ann Curry
and NBC are negotiating her exit from "Today" and the hang-up is money ...  sources connected with the network tell TMZ.

Our sources say Savannah Guthrie has already made her deal with the network to succeed Ann as co-anchor of "Today," but the snag is the amount of money Ann will get.

As we first reported, Ann gets $10 million a year. She is one year into a 3-year contract, and from what we're hearing NBC does not want to pay her $20 million for the balance of the contract.

Sources tell us Ann wants the full $20 mil and her exit papers. NBC wants to pay her $10 mil and give her a foreign correspondent job. And therein lies the hang-up.

The network could pay her the $20 mil and then prohibit her from working anywhere else for 2 years.  But we're told they don't want to shell out that kind of dough, so Ann's lawyer and NBC are haggling.

NBC wants to make the switch quickly ... certainly before the Olympics so they can showcase Savannah. We're hearing the goal is to make the announcement late this week or early next.

Boo

Option one don't work for 2 years and get 20 million. Option two work as a foreign correspondent for a year and get 10 million. Is NBC high? Ann take the 20 million and enjoy the next couple of years off!!

SouthernGal820

I like Amm but don't watch because I don't care for Matt Lauer. I definitely will not watch this Savannah person - coming in like this is underhanded and shows lack of integrity - lack of integrity on NBC's part too! They owe Ann the money on her contact and I hope she gets it even though it's absurd to pay someone that kind of money to sit in front of a camera and read a teleprompter.

cindyloo

I hope she gets every cent from NBC. I won't be watching; I can't stand Matt Lauer. Why didn't they get rid of Matt the cheater?

HARRY NIPPLES, Jr.

Its NBC... where they make up their own fake, pro-Obama stories and report them as "news." She's certainly qualified to work with the Obama campaign.

StarryStarryNight

does anyone remember savannah from the old court tv?

what an idjit.

she must be able to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Harry Kuheim

I thought only mean spirited Republicans fired Women so they can't get Health Care. I guess the oh so Liberal CEO's at NBC didn't need Anne and her 55 year old "Hangers" to present the next story on the War on Women by Republicans.

ERP

This change will not help their sliding ratings. Ann has a very nice almost soothing voice and although Savanna is smart her voice gives me a headache-it is very nasally and she needs to do something with her hair. I don't feel sorry Ann as she is getting loads of $$, but the show is stale.

The Maharincess of Franistan

They ABSOLUTELY should pay her the balance remaining on the contract. That is standard in our business.

I don't blame Ann for wanting to leave the network entirely. However, I think she would benefit by staying on with the network and serving as a "SENIOR foreign correspondent," with guarantees of airtime, along with various perks (private jets, use of private rental homes around the globe instead of hotels).

I completely understand her upset with the network, and how that is the basis for the complete "out." But I think that she needs to think about this from a business perspective as well.

That being said, she may also be lining up a gig as "Senior Foreign Correspondent" elsewhere, such as CNN.

We shall see. I wish her well. Ann is a first-class lady and I'm sorry to see this entire affair become so difficult.

But at the end of the day, the bottom line is numbers. And "Today's" numbers just dropped out from the minute she took the chair. And unfortunately for Ann, numbers don't lie.

63breezy

I've never been a fan of Ann. However, stick to your guns and get what you were contracted for!

patty

I'm sure big nose ugly Lauer had alot to do with the decision. Ann deserves to paid the 20 mill. Next big headline story Lauer divorcing wife, because of Guthrie......

Who Knew

There is a contract in place she did nothing to void it, she should get her money. All $20 million. Conon got all his money when he get off the Tonight Show.

Who Knew

Ann should get her cash, but I can't wait for more Savanah. Even though she went to Amphi HS and I went to CDO Canyon del Oro HS. If you are from Tucson you would know how much these schools hated eachother.

Elle

Pay her what she's due and let her go. This battle is making the network look really bad and will harm her successor.

Ih8Taxes

She needs to hold NBC to the contract and take the $20 million. Then vacation for 2 years and come back somewhere else if she likes. If not, geez!!! you made $30 million over the life of the contract - live the dream and do whatever the hell you want. If not, then she's just damn greedy.

lrud99