Ann Curry

Negotiating Exit From NBC

Savannah Guthrie A Lock

6/26/2012 6:43 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_ann_curry_savannah_01
Ann Curry
and NBC are negotiating her exit from "Today" and the hang-up is money ...  sources connected with the network tell TMZ.

Our sources say Savannah Guthrie has already made her deal with the network to succeed Ann as co-anchor of "Today," but the snag is the amount of money Ann will get.

As we first reported, Ann gets $10 million a year. She is one year into a 3-year contract, and from what we're hearing NBC does not want to pay her $20 million for the balance of the contract.

Sources tell us Ann wants the full $20 mil and her exit papers. NBC wants to pay her $10 mil and give her a foreign correspondent job. And therein lies the hang-up.

The network could pay her the $20 mil and then prohibit her from working anywhere else for 2 years.  But we're told they don't want to shell out that kind of dough, so Ann's lawyer and NBC are haggling.

NBC wants to make the switch quickly ... certainly before the Olympics so they can showcase Savannah. We're hearing the goal is to make the announcement late this week or early next.

Lori

I can't stand to watch Savannah Guthrie talk. I know I shouldn't comment on a physical feature, but her lack of an upper lip drives me completely nuts. I also haven't found her particularly compelling in interviews, so I really can't understand why they think this is going to be a good move for the show.

Sashatree

They're idiots for letting Ann go! Don't back down, Ann!!! You deserve that money!! And Savannah Guthrie -- HATE HER. And, given that I have not liked Matt "the germaphobic mysoginist" Lauer for years, I think this move will result in my switching from NBC to another network for my morning news show.

nmlzak

Matt Lauer is a self centered POS . I never liked him and stopped watching the show when he was named the host. I hope Ann gets the whole 20 million she is owed.

PM2901

Sounds like Ann has the upper hand in the negotiations. Although Ann was no Katie Couric, NBC has been really tacky in their handling Ann. She has been a loyal employee for a couple of decades and they don't remove her from that position with dignity and respect. Savannah is very good and a good choice to replace Ann. However, she can expect the same treatment if she doesn't make NBC number one quickly.

sue

Will Matt have to sit on 4 phone books, or use a booster chair? isn't Savannah 6' 7" ???
Amy Robach who hosted the show on Saturday mornings is now on CBS !!!! I've switched.
They just need to keep doing what they are doing they don't want to get their numbers up!!

scoopie

Too bad they're foolish enough to offer multi year contracts. Pay up!

redskin

Where in the world is matt lauer...? WHO CARES!!!!!

redskin

NO SAVANNAH GUTHRIE PLEASE....she's not a journalist...for that matter neither is matt lauer....geez, is this all there is?

Adagio

The issue here is not who get canned or who gets what cash. The issue is $20 million for reading the F'n news?!?! I would do it for 500K to 1M a year.

anony

Maybe Savannah Guthrie can take some of that money and buy some lips.

Dawn

You can bet if SHE wanted to leave they would hold her to it.....A contract is a contract.... maybe they should have signed her for just one year to see if it would work....STUPID them....NOW WRITE THAT CHECK!!!!

Betsy

So sorry Ann i like u-i quite watching the show to much about nothing

RC

I find it interesting, Matt and Ann no chemistry and yet its Ann's fault...................guess they prefer someone to gush all over Matt.....................which I won't watch

marina

Wonder who is sleeping with Matt??? Just asking???

m.meyers

The American way. If something begins to fail, you pick out someone to fire. in this case its Ann. The problem is that the 'format' is failing. Fire the person responsible for that. Was he the one who made the 'Leno' time change decision that worked out so well?