Jessie J

Accused of Jacking

'Domino' ... from a Man!

6/27/2012 10:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0627_jessie_j_lawsuit_article
British pop star Jessie J is a "Domino" thief ... so says the singer of a California band ... who claims Jessie's smash hit is simply a ripoff of one of his songs.

Jessie is being sued by Will Loomis from the band "Loomis & The Lust" ... whose music has been featured on MTV's Iggy and the Spike TV show "Blue Mountain State."

In the docs, Loomis claims Jessie's 2011 hit "Domino" incorporates huge chunks of his 2008 song "Bright Red Chords."

Loomis claims he never gave Jessie permission to jack his song ... and is now suing for damages. So far, no comment from Jessie J's camp.

Fun Fact: Jessie J has sold more than 11 million singles and 2.5 million albums to date ... Loomis & The Lust have a very nice Myspace page.

jasmine

I've listened to both songs and the only similarity is the way they sing the first verse. Usually it is the chorus that is accused of being a rip off, but they aren't even close to similar. The bridge is no where near the same either. The Loom is song has chord progression identical to Jimmy "Bo" Thorne's "Gimme Some" and that song came out in the 60s. If it was stolen, considering Dr. Luke was the producer it doesn't surprise me. I don't think Jessie J is at fault, though. She only writes the songs. I do find it quite strange that this is being brought up now after this song has been in the top 40 and played constantly on the radio for some time now and is on it's way out. Why not sue before? The song came out in 2011. I don't think they have a case simply because their song is not original either. Hopefully this doesn't shirt her career because she has done pretty well for herself. I'm sure it will help Loomis' career, though. It's like how the US One Direction is suing the UK One Direction for their name.

shotbykevin

I agree with Majestik. Since when has the number of singles or albums sold made it okay to steal someone's work. What a dumb ass attempt at humor...FAIL.

Jessie J could have a great future as a Katy Perry impersonator.

Violette-Blue

Team Jessie J. Love her song. I don't think that other group stands a chance. They are nothing alike in my opinion. Just a another loser group that wants their 15 minutes of fame by trying to sue a famous, well known and talented singer.

Bridget

I don't like that domino song. So for me, this is really a question of who is responsible for annoying me.

They sound simular. I don't know if they sound simular enough to win a lawsuit. So I will blame my annoyance on both of them. And throw in the radio stations for playing it waaay to much.

tyler

I always thought "Domino" was sung by Katy Perry anyway. They all sound the same

kronenburg

There's similar chord progression in the verses, and yes, the vocal phrasing is very similar. However, the choruses are completey different. That chord progression is pretty common in a lot of pop tunes, so I think it'll be a tough fight for Loomis to prove "Domino" is a ripoff.

That said, I like the Loomis and The Lust song much better. So what if they haven't sold millions of copies? That has nothing to do with talent or music quality.

Look at the Kardashian mess you worship, TMZ. They've made millions for not having any talent, so your snarky writing about Loomis and his MySpace page is a bit hypocritical, don't you think?

JC9014

This is ridiculous. Not even close to a direct rip-off. Nothing is created in a vacuum. All art...TV, literature, visual art, music is influenced by something. Similarities...sure. There are also similarities between DeLillo and Roth, Matisse and Picasso, All in the Family and every sitcom since...so what?

Truth

YAAAWWWN.... BOTH SHARE THE SAME 60'S AND 70'S OLD SKOOL CHORD COMBO'S. BOTH JACKED THOSE FROM THE 60'S ROCKERS. NOTHING ORIGINAL ABOUT THE BOTH OF THEM. IF JESSIE J IS SWAGGER JACKING, SHE GOTTA UP HER GAME LIKE BEYONCE. JUST ASK THE ORIGINATORS NICELY TO APPEAR IN YOUR CRAPTASTIC VIDS AS LAME SUPPORTING CHARACTERS AND YA WONT GET SUED! #TRUTH!!

Fat Mike

Fail. This lawsuit won't go anywhere, just like their crappy band.

Valley Bob

That's a stretch. The verse is "similar" but - to a hundred other songs too. Nice try.

If they win this case, Jessie J will sue Katy Perry who will sue Pink who will sue Kelly Clarkson who will sue...

me

Hey, Katy Perry made a very nice living off stealing Jill Sobule's I kissed a Girl. Why should she be the only one?

LuLu

FYI
Katy Perry wrote the song DOMINO

RRD

I think they are both borrowing from Big Audio Dynamite

LuLu

FYI
Katy Perry wrote the song DOMINO

GeniusMachine

Girl is hot. Both songs suck.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments