Ann Curry

I'm Leaving "Today"

6/28/2012 4:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

062812_ann_curry_leaving_today_v4_launch
Ann Curry said goodbye to "Today" today -- hours after her lawyer negotiated her exit from the show -- sobbing as she told viewers, "I'm sorry I couldn't carry the ball over the finish line, but man did I try."

Curry cried as she said goodbye to her co-anchors and viewers who got to know her over the last 15 years on the show.

In an interview with USA Today, Ann said, "In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."

When asked if she felt she was given enough time to work out those kinks, she flatly replied "No, I do not."

As for taking a beating by "Good Morning America" in the ratings recently, Curry says, "I know I am not to blame for the ratings worries ... and my bosses have said to me there are many factors involved."

Under her new deal, Curry will continue to produce for "NBC Nightly News," "Dateline," "Rock Center" and "Today" and will fill in as anchor on "Nightly News."

As TMZ previously reported, Ann was guaranteed $20 million for the last two years of her contract but NBC didn't want to pay that amount ... so they negotiated a lesser deal where Ann will stay on and still make good money.

When asked by USA Today about the $10-$20 million a year salary, she said "I can say that I'd love to earn that much." Fact is ... Ann was getting $10 mil a year.

We broke the story ... Savannah Guthrie will be named Ann's replacement and NBC wants her firmly in place before the Olympics so they can showcase her next to Matt Lauer.

Pittsburgher

That was heartbreaking. F NBC for doing all the wrong things.

Fat Mike

That video is hard to watch. Look at Lauer, the two-faced douche. Can't wait until he gets fired.

julie4evert

Savannah Guthrieis not a good fit. She's way too tall

PT

My last watching of Today ... Ann is an example of the post-Reagan "mentality" that exists in the US.

roll3567

Wow natts body anguage says it all. I guess if He wants you gone, you're gone. A shame since she was the only real reporter among them. I hope the ratings continue to sag. Then who will you blame matt?

Shelley

She's a class act. Love how ole Natalie Morales was sitting right next to Matt during Ann's announcment, and then right after the break, ole Savannah Guthrie was sitting on his other side. Those two bitches gonna fight it out. And by the way, neither of them is the right choice.

ash

A few days ago Willie Geist co-hosted with Ann instead of Matt. It was better. The vid was sad to watch- they need to get rid of Matt!!

writenow

Ann didn't fit because she's a journalist whereas Matt pulls stunts like, "Where in the world is Matt Lauer?"

Kari

Keep Ann--get rid of Matt.

your own luck

Believing that Ann Curry is THE REASON

Superman

Let me get this straight. She could have gotten $20 million and out of TV for 2 years. But, she accepted to be paid $10 million and still work for NBC for 2 years. The problem is she's dumb. Duh! Take the $20 million and leave!

FLO

I can not stand Mutt Lauer so will not be watching the new puppet. Mutt is a narcissist who turns my stomach.

Joe

Ann, I am a GMA watcher but always respected your work and wish you the very best. You deserve better.

janja

Ann this was NOT your fault at all, NBC is out of line blaming her for the ratings. They will see that if they put Savannah Guthrie in ann's spot the ratings will fall to an all time low

texaschickeee

Ann is right, she is not to blame for the ratings. Today has sucked for a while. Its the producers and the directors fault. She has been on that show forever so the kinks....i'm not buying that. The ones that REALLY should be gone are Kathy Lee and Matt. Both are no talent losers that have never really done anything anywhere.