Ann Curry

I'm Leaving "Today"

6/28/2012 4:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

062812_ann_curry_leaving_today_v4_launch
Ann Curry said goodbye to "Today" today -- hours after her lawyer negotiated her exit from the show -- sobbing as she told viewers, "I'm sorry I couldn't carry the ball over the finish line, but man did I try."

Curry cried as she said goodbye to her co-anchors and viewers who got to know her over the last 15 years on the show.

In an interview with USA Today, Ann said, "In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."

When asked if she felt she was given enough time to work out those kinks, she flatly replied "No, I do not."

As for taking a beating by "Good Morning America" in the ratings recently, Curry says, "I know I am not to blame for the ratings worries ... and my bosses have said to me there are many factors involved."

Under her new deal, Curry will continue to produce for "NBC Nightly News," "Dateline," "Rock Center" and "Today" and will fill in as anchor on "Nightly News."

As TMZ previously reported, Ann was guaranteed $20 million for the last two years of her contract but NBC didn't want to pay that amount ... so they negotiated a lesser deal where Ann will stay on and still make good money.

When asked by USA Today about the $10-$20 million a year salary, she said "I can say that I'd love to earn that much." Fact is ... Ann was getting $10 mil a year.

We broke the story ... Savannah Guthrie will be named Ann's replacement and NBC wants her firmly in place before the Olympics so they can showcase her next to Matt Lauer.

how lame

She's even pretty when she cries.

ok

Oh cry me a river, and try to survive on 100K a year..or better yet 40K a year..how about 25K a year?
geez..some people are so f**king consumed with entitlement, it's sickening.

Bolishous

Savanah's pathetically BORING.
Jenna Wolf should've gotten the job.

CC

I stopped watching years ago because I couldn't stand Matt Lauer, Katie Couric and Al Roker. Tuned in a few times since and Ann Curry was the one bright light of that show. So now Katie's on GMA and with Ann's gone fromToday and Diane Sawyer gone from GMA....to heck with it. Im shutting the tv off altogether.

CC

Ann Curry was the one positive on that show. I stopped watching regularly long ago....can't stand Matt or Al (ugh) and Katie Couric never did a thing for me either. Now she's on GMA and Diane Sawyer's gone. Morning television is dead. Turning it of for good. They all suck.

sandy

I am 62 yrs. old and have always watched the today show. I stopped weatching when they put meredith viera on. She was a selfcentered ,egotistical, camera hog!!!! When they put ann in her place, I was ecstatic!! Ann, is the most sincere person I have ever seen and it shows in her interviews. Now they have dumped Ann?????? I used to like matt, but if the story is true,shame on you Matt! I will now watch good morning america. Good luck Ann, you deserve the best!

Tess

BOYCOTT THE SHOW! Show your anger & dismay towards NBC and MORE ANGER & DISMAY to that egotistical, phoney, insincere, two faced, backstabbing blowhard.....Matt Lauer! Matt "the Louse" Lauer deserves a good dose of KARMA and....be KNOCKED off his pedestal! What a lousy narcissistic excuse for a human being. Imagine if YOU were treated like Ann. The "viewers" have the power to teach Matt the Louse a lesson in basic decency, kindness & respect! Take him down a few notches and knock him off his high horse! He should be the one losing his overpaid job...along with what is left of his hair!
Poor Guthrie....she'll be blamed next when whiney, take no blame Matt throws her under the bus, too! Can you imagine being married to this creep!BOYCOTT the TODAY SHOW!!!

Outlaw Jesse

Laur needs to go...overpaid bag of wind!

Sabrina

she is the reason that I watch the show....
well, that is another show that I will not be watching...

Cheryl

Al Roker was the only one who showed genuine sadness at her leaving. Matt seamed angry that he even hat to sit next to her. He talked over her.

JRS

Ann's taking the blame for a changed format that is light on real news and too heavy with coverage of "The Royals" and Al Roker spewing forth with his "My People!", on Fridays when they have bands performing. They need to look harder at the whole format and not just changing one person.

JRS

have a nice day

Ann Curry was the only reason I watched the TODAY show. She's a beautiful, compassionate, caring, REAL person - A REAL CLASS ACT! NBC's ratings have just gone down the toilet! TODAY has now become THE TITANIC, and Ann is lucky to have gotten off before it sets sail with the arrogant Matt - THE SNOB - Lauer yelling "I'm king of the world" on the bow of the ship as it sails towards it's now fateful demise! God bless you Ann Curry! GOODBYE TODAY, HELLO GMA TOMORROW!

RBrac

Awwwww..... she was only making 10 MILLION a year!!! Oh my, how ever did she afford to live????? There's 12.7 million unemployed people in America. Losing their homes, losing their lives.... This bitch wants to cry about only making 10 million.... Cry my a ****in river!!! Get over it!!!

RBrac