Ann Curry

I'm Leaving "Today"

6/28/2012 4:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

062812_ann_curry_leaving_today_v4_launch
Ann Curry said goodbye to "Today" today -- hours after her lawyer negotiated her exit from the show -- sobbing as she told viewers, "I'm sorry I couldn't carry the ball over the finish line, but man did I try."

Curry cried as she said goodbye to her co-anchors and viewers who got to know her over the last 15 years on the show.

In an interview with USA Today, Ann said, "In every single co-host's first year, there have been kinks to be worked out, and perhaps I deserve as much blame for that as anyone."

When asked if she felt she was given enough time to work out those kinks, she flatly replied "No, I do not."

As for taking a beating by "Good Morning America" in the ratings recently, Curry says, "I know I am not to blame for the ratings worries ... and my bosses have said to me there are many factors involved."

Under her new deal, Curry will continue to produce for "NBC Nightly News," "Dateline," "Rock Center" and "Today" and will fill in as anchor on "Nightly News."

As TMZ previously reported, Ann was guaranteed $20 million for the last two years of her contract but NBC didn't want to pay that amount ... so they negotiated a lesser deal where Ann will stay on and still make good money.

When asked by USA Today about the $10-$20 million a year salary, she said "I can say that I'd love to earn that much." Fact is ... Ann was getting $10 mil a year.

We broke the story ... Savannah Guthrie will be named Ann's replacement and NBC wants her firmly in place before the Olympics so they can showcase her next to Matt Lauer.

coomason

She had that awful, flat monotone voice, and was boring as Hell to listen to anyway, so what is to be missed?

RBrac

Awwwww..... she was only making 10 MILLION a year!!! Oh my, how ever did she afford to live????? There's 12.7 million unemployed people in America. Losing their homes, losing their lives.... This bitch wants to cry about only making 10 million.... Cry my a ****in river!!! Get over it!!!

auntrogers

It truly scares me that people do not know who Ann Curry is. EEEEEEK.

auntrogers

It truly scares me that some of these people do not know who Ann Curry is. She has been with NBC for 20 years. I wish more people read the newspaper and watched the news.

ShrinkWrap

If they want their ratings to increase, they need to get rid of that egotistical, arrogant prick of a host who threw Ann under the bus.

Gail Horner

I stooped watching the Today show several months ago after finally deciding that the producers evidently believe that the rest of the country needs to only hear how to think. The talking heads, panels, and all those New York "experts" who continually talk down to us, rather than talking WITH us as they do at Good Morning America, are the reasons for the ratings tank!
Ann was a warm and wonderful friend to wake up to, and with her gone, I'll stop feeling guilty for watching GMA. Good luck Ann, we love you!

Ted

My husband and I always felt you deserve the Big Couch Seat. It's NBC lost and don't worry there will be bigger and better things to come for you. God Bless.

mrbrnz

boycott = the new bullying.

danney a diess

Ann is the only thing i even like about that show. they should get rid of Matt Lauer.

Rose D.

I feel so sorry for Ann, she is a class act. Savannah Guthrie and that awful whining voice drives me crazy and she can't hold a candle to Ann. I will be watching GMA from now on!!!

Paul C

Love Ann...very compassionate and yet a consummate professional; if she goes we go. Their are few that possess her unique ability to fit into any situation: from co-host of the Today Show, to anchoring the Nightly News, and yes, sorry to tell you Brian, if given the choice between you or Ann, in black she has you beat by a mile and Lester beat by two. I have been watching the Today Show for over twenty five years and I've have had to endure Meredith Vieira, awkward interviews with a woman who got her face bitten off by a chimp, the Duggar family, Prince William, the Olympics, a seeming obsession with gas prices, people who lose limbs and a cornucopia of other nonesense and non-newsworthy human interest stories. Meanwhile, one of the most important issues facing every man, woman and child goes uncovered. If anyone is wondering why viewership is waning, stop one on the bus tour might be the stories being covered. As for you, Ann, I sincerely hope your next employer values you and gives you the respect you've earned and deserve, as opposed to throwing you under the bus.

The Truth Hurts

She should of hired conan o'brien lawyer because obvious her lawyer dropped the ball and didn't get the money she deserved and kept her with NBC news. But I got to hand it to Ann for coming to work for the last week and held her head high with all that was going on. Anyway I will never watch the today show again and Matt is a douche

Mike

I cannot believe today is making Ann leave as Co hosts. I will no longer watch today show because of this.

pwild

TMC: Please Please Please bust Matt Lauer for the cheating loser that he is. You guys are sooooo good at that! That would be a win for Anne Curry, Matt's wife and the rest of America

Carly

She is a reporter and has always done a great job. The show is for bubble heads!!! Go back to serious reporting where you are great!